Redishing a rear wheel help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm building a 29er. Nice carbon frame, do drivetrain etc. The wheels that came with the bike I wasn't a fan of, so bought a new set, but after fitting, they don't sit right and are dished slightly to one side. I've got a wheel jig and have built wheels in the past, just after some advice on the best corrective action to dish the rear wheel. Will it be as simple as say reducing the tension by a half turn in the spikes on one side, and adding the same on the other? The wheel is true, just out a fraction dish wise.

Re:

Work with quarter turns, be gentle with corrections on wheels. Don't try to go too quick, loosen quarter turn, then tighten. Do two rounds and check, etc...

Cheers, it's only slightly off so 1/4 turn it is. Is it best to release one side then tighten the other, or just go spoke to spoke?

Start at valve hole to release one spoke then tighten adjacent working you way round all the spokes.

In theory there should be no need to adjust.

Btw how far out is the rim, presumably you put in wheel both ways to check?

Re:

It's really only slightly out. I probably wouldn't have noticed but I fitted a slightly wider tyre and it sits slightly closer to the left seatstay.

Re:

Well they are wishbone from the seat tube, and I don't know many frames that would have the wheel off-centre of the middle of the seat tube.

Measure it.
Could be slightly off centre rear end, dodgy dropouts (more paint in one than the other) or any one of a number of issues which aren't related to the dish of the wheel......

The original wheels I have sat fine in the frame so I think it's the wheel. I'll check to be 100% sure but I'm sure the carbon frame is straight.

Latest posts

Back