Hub 130 oln, alloy frame 135. Ok? PHOTOS ADDED !

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Have been doing a bit of wheel building lately. Went to fit rear in, only to discover it's a (Coda) road hub :facepalm:
It's going in an mtb, 7005 alloy tubed jobbie. Rode it yesterday and seemed fine. Would there be any issues with this regarding weakening the frame?

Pics added now,

With washer added to the end of the axle, and

Without, the gap I have to close

Thanks

Mike

Re: Hub 130 oln, alloy frame 135. Ok?

On a steel frame - no problem. On an alloy frame - I would be concerned too. I guess you're wanting advice from someone that actually knows what they're talking about though :)

Personally I wouldn't do it. I would have a look at the innards of the hub and try to fit a new axle. Cyclo do one for £5 including a set of cones, locknuts and spacers.

Re:

hamster":3hgjivx4 said:
Personally I wouldn't do it. I would have a look at the innards of the hub and try to fit a new axle. Cyclo do one for £5 including a set of cones, locknuts and spacers.

The problem is, it's for a Coda hub with sealed bearings. Hard to get hold of a suitabe axle I imagine?

Mike

Hmm, not going to be easy. I'd hoped it was one of the older (and less trick) ones. Probably it will have a custom axle with an inboard right wheel bearing to avoid infringing Shimano's freehub patent. None of that stuff is standard.

Rule zero is don't try to cold set the frame.

Is the Coda hub very, very lovely???

Is the Coda hub very, very lovely???[/quote]

No, but I've built the pair of wheels up now.

Could find some other 28h hubs from somewhere I suppose :roll:

Mike

Re:

Can you not just use some spacers or is the axel too short?

I don't think it will weaken the frame, just a faff putting the wheel in and out

Re:

Hi Nick ;)

There's no thread on the part of the axle that shows.

I'd like to use them, but don't want to jeopardize the frame, albeit not an expensive one

Mike

Re:

Looks like it might be time to practise your wheel building skills again :mrgreen:

Or just fit the wheel and ride it, with the knowledge that it may fail one day, hopefully not too catastrophically. But at least then you might have an interesting (and possibly gruesome) tale to tell people in the future :LOL:

Re:

The wheel won't fail Jimo, it's the frame I'm concerned about. Steel can flex 5mm easily enough, but what effect will doing the same to an alloy frame have?

Back