Drive Side On The Left

All you threads will be the wrong way round. Pedals and fixed cog. Probably other reasons too if I could get my head round it. I doubt very much that he has had special bits made up so it will probably all unscrew when you use it. Not to worry cos you are not going very far when the pedals fall off.
Peter

Re:

Half Cog - Thanks for the reply,I couldn't work it out either.
The listing includes this quote:
"I'm a fully qualified cycle mechanic working in the industry for 6 years"

It's actually not that unusual, people have been using wrong sided transmissions in various applications for a while. Mostly bmx, but I've seen a couple of track bikes before. Dunno why this one's been done. And as you say, if it's not been done properly, it'll cause lots of issues down the line. And as it's not been mentioned in the description (it's not that easy to do "right", so world be worth mentioning) I suspect he doesn't know what he's done, or what problems he's letting himself in for. Or at least, problems for whoever buys it.

Could be cynical and say he could have bought it like that and now its not such a good idea. Clank! There goes another pedal!

Ahh. now had a bit of a think.If you use the front cranks from a tandem with cross over drive you can use standard pedals.The chainrings are on the left.Dont know why it took me so long to think of that as I spend most of my riding time n e tandem.A cartridge bottom bracket with locktite should not cause any problems.That only leaves the fixed cog to sort. if you use splined fixed cogs and epoxy the carrier to the wheel threads I have a feeling you could get around this. Its the fixed cogs at the back that I have no experience with but I seem to remember seeing a splined system somewhere. Probably e bay.In short you could probably make all this work without resorting to custom machining.Do people who are left footed feel they get better drive with a left hand set up?On the front of the tandem my drive chain is on the left and I am right footed and I cant say it feels any different to the feel of a normal bike. I would like to know the reason behind it.Could be all in the mind but even that is valid if it makes you feel you can go better. anyone know ?
Peter

a local guy has done this to his competition bmx because he is left footed and reckons it helps,cant see it myself but apparently has no problem with a fixed rear cog ,and tandem crank

Re:

Bmx riders do this for grinding purposes.... its harder to grind to th right with the drive on the right

Re:

I was going to suggest it's probably just the image has been reversed but all the logos are the right way round. Strange he doesn't mention it.

Re:

Even more thinking( must be careful )It wont make any difference with the fixed cog due to the lock ring.They are designed to take torque in the other direction for braking. Locked on either way
Peter

Back