SCAM: Whyte 19 Gumtree

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/whyte ... 1028372472

I was tempted by this for the brakes. I was planning on keeping them and selling the rest. I contacted the seller through Gumtree, who then asked me to contact him via his Gmail address (alarm bells start ringing a little bit, but I did so).

I asked him a few questions about the bike and although he was friendly enough (and didn't come across as an obvious scammer) he wasn't giving a lot of information. I asked him if I could come and view it (he had listed his location as Ellesmere which is a fair old drive from Cardiff, but I was still interested), and he replied with:

"Wanted to let you know that I just moved with my work for 3 months in Belfast, i have the item here with me and would like to close the transaction through the PayPoint service (you can find it at the local store near you).
The delivery will be next day and you will have the opportunity to try and inspect the item at the store or at your address before I receive the money.
The transaction will be cash on delivery, let me know if you're interested to use this service.The item will be delivered via RoyalMail/DHL and the delivery will be payed by me. Cheers"

Ding ding! Alarm bells!

So, if anyone else has seen this bike - don't fall for it!

Back