Another Zaskar with Hope discs

Re:

Thanks! I'm interested in C2, O2 or M4 calipers and Bulb or Bigun hubs with 5-bolt rotors. Not really sure how committed I am to this plan though, I'll send you a PM in a bit!

Matthew

Ive some Hubs
Big un F&R 32h Silver VGC inc 185/185mm Big un/Bulb rotors QR- rear rotor a little worn but tons left.

Bulb F&R 36R/32F Red(Front is new/nos) 5 bolt with spiders, ano red lockrings inc 165/185mm Bigun/bulb rotors QR

2nd Gen large flange F&R 32h Silver. Both NOS/New 5 bolt spider/lockring(Might only have one spider here, Maybe a 2nd spider, ill need to look.)

And some brakes :D
C2's on Sport levers. VGC No3/No3 or No3/No 9.74

Sorry, thought this was the wanted section. removed the modern bits :oops:

Re:

Thanks both!

RickTheUncivil, I've pm'd you.

Dyna-ti, the red bulb hubs with 5-bolt rotors and the C2 brakeset would seem to fit the bill nicely, although I'm a bit scared of the long term servicing implications of running older Hope hydro kit. (It's intended for a bike which will be a rider. Not every weekend, but not a museum piece either!)

If serviced and setup correctly, is it reasonable to expect C2 brakes to function well under occasional use for a couple of years, or should I expect to be fettling every month?

Also, is there a reason why C2 brakes (and service kits) are reasonably easy to come by, but O2s are rarely seen these days?

Cheers!

Matthew

Fitted and set up any system should be ok for occasional use tbh, but as theyre filled with hydraulic fluid, which i believe expands over time, you might have to undo a bleed nipple to draw off a little, though that wouldnt require further bleeding, not usually is my experience.
My own use of C2's was initially pretty much daily, to occasional and i didnt have any problems in the 8 years i used them.

Hope will not service C2/O2's they simply dont have the replacement bits like pistons any more, though may have seals any the like.
That said theres very little can go wrong, and wear is to the replaceable rubber bits, which are available online but are disappearing, so buying for spare o-rings/seals or the other replaceable bits would be prudent.

Like everything, they need looking after cosmetically. This is really the key to them remaining in full working condition for years. Wear to the pads means the piston sides are exposed(as in al) A build up of grime around them scores the piston sides, allowing critical leakage, plus corrodes the metal around this area, usually rendering it unserviceable, especially if trying to remove a piston, it if damaged can add to the scoring. So looked after = not looked after = bad ;)

Modern Hopes and the corrosion they seem prone to these days, but is not the same as the older alloy in C2, which seems pretty robust to corrosion and damage :? Personal thoughts there, but then I looked after mine.

A great brake in general and is considerably more powerful than other 2-pot, inc modern Hopes(IMHO)

Persoanlly i was lost in me own little world so missed O2's totally.In fact i dont remember anyone using or even seeing them in the shop :? possibly really short lived with monos coming in before they had a chance to get used.

Many kits hold similar parts so they do selections that cover most replacement parts. If still about, prudence is your friend. Theres nothing in the fact theres lots currently about. More to do with the fact theyre so good./ Who wants a brake youve got to constantly fiddle with or replace parts.

Overall,. it looks the part and does the job. its older, likly tatty, but if mechanically sound will just keep going. A bit like Z2 bombers. Again used by me for 8 years and found on its first seervice that new oil and thats all thats needed.

Forks of today might be ultra plush and soak up even ripples,or not affected by pedalling, but theyre too precise and too maintainance hungry because for that. And as we've seen, wear out far too quickly.

Example pic for you
L-R
A.New No3 Caliper
B.Looked after No9 caliper
C.Didnt bother arse, stuck bike in shed.

Attachments

• DSCF1836 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF1836 (Custom).JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 531
Re:

Wow, thanks for all that info! Sounds like C2s can be a perfectly serviceable option then.

I'll need to have a think about which calipers I might need; the bike in question is currently equipped with Manitou X-Vert forks with the 68mm post mount, which I believe would be best mated with a no. 9 caliper? If I'm not mistaken, one alternative would be an a2z adapter (which adds an extra 20mm to the rotor diameter) and a no.5 caliper paired with 185mm rotor?

Another option would be to swap the forks out for a Z1 with I.S. mount and go with no.3 on front and rear.

Thinking cap is on!

Cheers,

Matthew

Latest posts

Back