1999 Giant MCM D-980 for sale GBP1000

captnslow

Dirt Disciple
1999 Giant MCM D-980 Carbon Fibre dual suspension mountain bike – very rare size SMALL
An extremely rare chance to purchase the highly regarded 1999 Australian market specification Giant MCM980 mountain bike size SMALL in exceptional condition. I bought this bike new as a special order from the then Melbourne main dealer for Giant. This bike has been consistently maintained at the highest level since new. The bike has been selectively upgraded with Shimano XT and Easton carbon fibre components. All brakes and cabling have recently been replaced and all gears and brakes are in perfect working order. This bicycle comes complete with a few spares that are critical for its longer term enjoyment as these parts are otherwise irreplaceable. These include:-
1. The original wheel set – Mavic 220 rims laced to LX hubs. Rims have some cracks at the spokes but otherwise the rims, spokes and hubs are in superb “near show” condition for static display purposes. This wheelset is fitted with as new Continental Race King tyres.
2. A spare genuine Giant rear arm pivot bolt. I broke one in about year 3 of ownership and hence bought two replacements. The spare is the original one fitted that was undamaged. I don’t believe these are available as a spare and, as I have proven, they can break
3. Replacement rear hub for SPIN wheels. Annually I pull down and rebuild/lubricate the rear hub. It’s quicker just to replace the hub and rebuild the ‘spare’ in your free time as the swap only takes about 5 minutes. Both hubs (the one fitted and the spare) are fully interchangeable. Finding a spare SPIN rear hub would otherwise be a very difficult task.
Additionally this bike comes complete with both 90mm and 115mm matching Easton EA50 bar stems and a long travel seat post enabling comfortable fitting for any rider between about 5’2” (155cm) and 5’10” (175cm) tall with the added benefits of the SMALL frame including lighter weight and shorter wheelbase providing quicker handling amongst rocks gardens and suchlike.
And just for the final finishing touches I have included the full set of original manufacturer’s documentation (Giant, Rock Shox, Easton) and a replacement set of original SPIN wheel decals for which I will have no further use.
For international and interstate purchasers, the bike will be packed into a ZIPP factory transport bag complete with reinforcement frame and substantial padding for protection. Whilst the bag has some signs of fading due to sunlight it is in otherwise perfectly functional condition. This is included in the postage charge. For all purchases other than cash on collection, PayPal payments are preferred.
I am happy for you to arrange an independent assessment of this bicycle at your preferred Melbourne registered bicycle shop for your further comfort/reassurance. The nearest GIANT dealer is GIANT Ormond, VIC 3204.
Specification:
1999 Giant MCM D-980 size SMALL
Frame Construction – Carbon bonded mainframe w/TIG-welded rear triangle
Frame Tubing Material - Carbon fiber composite/CU92 rear triangle/7005 aluminium Rocker
Fork Brand & Model - Rock Shox SID XC 100mm dual air
Fork Material - Magnesium, triple-clamp crown
Rear Shock - Rock Shox SID XC dual air, 100mm travel
NB: Fork and rear shock are an adjustable ‘matched’ pair
Components:
Component Group - Shimano XT
Brakeset - Shimano V-Brake brakes, XT rapid fire brifters, new dual compound swisstop pads
Shift Levers - XT rapid fire brifters
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT top-swing, top-pull/braze-on
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XT
Crankset - Shimano XT hollowtech, 22/32/42 teeth
Pedals -new Shimano clipless
Bottom Bracket - Shimano BB-UN72, 107 mm spindle
BB Shell Width - 68mm English
Rear Cogs - 8-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Chain - KMC 8 speed
Seatpost - Easton EC70, 30.8 mm diameter
Saddle - new Selle Italia Trimatic 2
Handlebar - Easton monkey-lite XC carbon riser
Handlebar grips - YETI
Handlebar Stem - Easton EA50 – two lengths provided 90mm (fitted) and 115mm (supplied spare)
Headset - 1 1/8" threadless Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset SA-2

Wheels (spare Original)
Hubs Front: Shimano Deore LX, Rear: Shimano Deore LX
Rims Mavic 220, 32-hole
Tires Front: 26 x 2.2” Continental Race King, Rear: 26 x 2.0" Continental Race King
Spoke Brand DT Competition stainless steel, 1.8mm double butted
Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

Fitted Wheels
Hubs Rims - SPIN 3 spoke carbon synthetic with aluminium bonded rim
Tires – Continental TravelContact 26” x 1.95”

That's a lively looking thing. Too small for me thankfully.

Sorry to clog your sale thread with a question but as a spin wheel owner myself, I'm interested in finding out how you service your hubs. Mine may need doing one day.

unthread the hub flanges and end caps, pull it all apart, degrease, ultrasonic clean and then put it all back together again with some light waterproof grease. Its a bit fiddly, takes me about an hour or so plus the ultrasonic. Hence I have the spare to swap over when it's starting to feel a bit sticky as the swap only takes about 5 minutes. First time it did it (after about 4 years of use!) I found some rust on the springs, so soaked them in molasses for a couple of days. No problems since.

Back