1993 Cadex

thecynicalasian

Retro Newbie
Apologies if this is in the wrong place - I am new to this forum and this seemed like the most fitting place to post this.

I have my eye on a '93 Cadex on eBay but there is some crucial information missing. Could anyone manage to ID which CFR variety this is and how much typically this would weigh?

Cheers,
TheCynicalAsian

Attachments

• $_3 (1).JPG
    $_3 (1).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 818
  • $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 818
Re:

Couldn't tell you what the whole bike would weigh, but the frame is likely to be around 1.8kg, plus 800g or so for the fork. The frame itself looks very much like the older 980C which is what I'm basing the weight on for that size of frame.

They're not super-light compared to a more modern frame, but the acceleration is phenomenal. Disadvantage is that the forks are a little flexy, particularly if you're a heavier rider, but they make a good all-rounder as you can fit up to 30C tyres (as long as your wheel's aligned well!)

I've recently sold a 55 cm CFR Expert with full Ultegra 6510 and some Mavic wheels - and I happened to weigh it as well ;).

I thought it was quite heavy at 9.75 kg ready to ride.

Yours could be heavier still, as it's got Sora groupset on and even cheaper wheels.

Hope this helps, Nikica.

Re:

Thank you both for your insightful opinions. Ah that's put me off slightly, then again I may chance it. Anyone know a realistic resale value of one of these?

TheCynicalAsian

Re:

Its worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it - whatever is fetches on the bay is what its worth.

It weighs a lot less than the rider

Yes, but it will also fetch a different amount nearly every time it's listed.

Regardless, if I were you, I wouldn't pour too much money down that route, other for sentimental reasons.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it at all but if I had to - I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £120 for it in its current shape and form.

Hope this helps!

Re:

Absolutely.. It's not heavy for its time, the TDF winning bikes of 93-94 were somewhere between 9 & 10kg, so it's absolutely on point. Okay, its not 7-8kg, but it's not going to cost £5-8,000 either..

You should be able to get one for less than £120 as well with some luck! There are loads of them about for £4-500 simply because they are carbon, and quite a few for £50-100 because they're 'old'.

Back