Monty Trials 230 xlite 25" rear wheel + 219 Unicorn Poo.

Trialsmeister

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone, thanks for having me along.

Looking for the following Monty Trials rareness...

Monty 230 x-lite (also probs Urban Trial) 25" inch rear wheel
(Yes twenty five inch) What was that all about?!
*And/or Genuine Monty brake convertors to size up or down an inch*
Also..
Monty T219 (20") Ot pi replica (circa 1990) Orange colour handlebars
Direct mount stem clamps for above
Monty upgraded brakes complete set with the brass booster pulley thing.

Very specific, I know this. Worse, I could do with the above in as near new condition as plausible. I shouldn't hold my breath!

Thanks for listening, hope to be more involved going forward.

Regards TM

Hi there, yeah I've been lurking here, feebay, pinkbike and the various Trials forums etc, for a good while now. To no avail unfortunately.
I have had each bike since new and I'm reliving my youth, by restoring my stuff!
The Monty's are 1990 and around 1996 so you guys are like the Obi Wan to my Leah! My only hope!
Appreciate all your help, maybe a Spanish contingent would know of some old Monty Trialsin dealers ,viva Espana!
Or maybe one day, a google search will collide with this posting!

Regards, TM

Hi Trialsmeister,

I have just found this thread whilst searching for old model Monty's, you may have already found the parts you need.

There's a couple of rims on ebay currently that might be what you're after, although they're listed as 22.5 which I think is incorrect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monty-231XL- ... SwKJtauPua

For the handlebars, I think you'll struggle to find an Orange set, I beleive they are the same bars as the chrome models, you may have more luck searching for them, and then painting them. The 'Olimpic' horshshoe brakes with the brass pully really are like Unicorn Poo, I have a set including the correct levers that I picked up for when I find the right bike to put them on, I found mine on www.milanuncios.es, basically a Spanish free ads website.

I'm bit of a Monty nut, rode them when I was young and spent hours watching Otpi videos! I have a T-219 that I restored a couple of years ago, and have recently built a PR221 for the occasional ride, definately have a soft spot for the 'original trials brand'.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi there LBB. Thank you very much for the reply and the information, Spanish advert listing included (I've mainly been stalking eBay) . You're 219 is a stunner, was the chrome so good, at the beginning of the resto?

I too, saw the eBay listing for the 22.5, I messaged the seller and he sent me an image with the tape measure bang on the 22.5!
I think it's a 24 which has been squished. But I may just take the plunge and get one, to see. I can build a useable bike if I get a 25" wheel or brake position adapter.

I still have the original receipt for my 219, £300 in 1992! It was a two year old model by then already. I'd like to build it for sentiment, if nothing else.
I think my bars will be ok for a display bike, I wouldn't use them in anger though.
I'm missing those horseshoe brake calipers/Olimpic brass rollermajigs (have the original levers and they're still good surprisingly) and also the triple clamps for the bars, which I snapped clean through, whilst dropping off in 1995!

The year before that, I had it, with my motor trials bike, at a stadium event in Bercy with Mitsu Yamaha France, I got Ot Pi to sign the bashguard! I used the bike the next year and unfortunately, it's unreadable now! Bruno Camozzi a good French trials campaigner, wanted in on the signatures and signed one side of the frame. The year after, we did a show in Edinburgh during the festival with Christophe Cammozi, his brother (also v accomplished cyclo rider), whom when asked to sign the opposite side to Bruno, abruptly refused and grunted something én français, then wandered off!

I came across some pics recently, then moved house, I will hunt them out when I can make sense of the stramash!

I will keep in touch and let you know of anything interesting I see, Monty shaped. Also Tarty bikes still has brand new 230 xlite frames for a reasonable price. Also 25" Monty tyres too. There are just no wheels for them!

All the best.

TM

Re: 25" wheels....

All was going so well when I offered up the 1x rear in the 230 xlite frame.... wait a moment, something doesn't look right....

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 306
Back