Mag21SL brake arch / Mag21SL

wadsy":3myxvz4c said:
TOMAS":3myxvz4c said:
Hi there, so I have Mag 20s on a bike and a set of Mag21SLs on another (the non-Ti versions). Other than colour I cannot tell the difference in the brake arch? I have a couple of sets of old yellow Quadra Rs, would one of these suit? I thought I'd done a lot of reading into the Mag21SLs and was of the opinion it is the same brake arch as the others, the SLs are light due to alloy stations and also different crown? The SL Ti even lighter as it has Ti Bolt and canti stud set on it, but I really did think all the arches were the same?

It's as Fluff says above; the SL and SL Ti forks have a lighter (magnesium) fork brace than the 'standard' forks.

I know: a) because I've weighed them, and b) because I've had magnesium ones welded to repair them!

Cheers :)

Learn something new every day! Can you tell if the ebay link I put is the magnesium one?

Re:

Hi - thank you for the post. I think the one you linked for sake is an painted alloy as opposed to magnesium.

gert":e6rlsq8x said:
FluffyChicken":e6rlsq8x said:
No the Silver (and yellow) are a magnesium made brake arch compared to the Aluminium iirc, they are lighter.
mine is not alu but magnesium (mag 21 from 1991-1992)
pain in the ass about the black paint on it and from an other 21 also, they break easy
91-92 was RS1 (steel brace) or Mag20 and they used a different 'style' brace, still Aluminum iirc
Mag21 was 1993 onwards.
The SL getting a Magnesium brace (as did the Quarda 21R at one point)

FluffyChicken":1wz289wh said:
gert":1wz289wh said:
FluffyChicken":1wz289wh said:
No the Silver (and yellow) are a magnesium made brake arch compared to the Aluminium iirc, they are lighter.
mine is not alu but magnesium (mag 21 from 1991-1992)
pain in the ass about the black paint on it and from an other 21 also, they break easy
91-92 was RS1 (steel brace) or Mag20 and they used a different 'style' brace, still Aluminum iirc
Mag21 was 1993 onwards.
The SL getting a Magnesium brace (as did the Quarda 21R at one point)

I have both Mag21SL and also 2 sets of old Quadra21R's that ran elastomers (in yellow). The braces on both my Mag21SL and Quadra21R are same fitment/interchangable and weigh exactly the same, however the silver brace on my Mag21SL appears to be painted silver not polished so i'm still non the wiser!

Re:

No it's the one linked to a few posts back on eBay.

But that's a cool third party one, has a bit of a Specialized version about it but then over sized.

Back