Visiting Dumfries, 7 Stanes recommendations?

The_Grouch

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi everyone,

As per the title, I'm visiting Dumfries (staying in Gatehouse of Fleet) for a wedding in a couple of weeks. A lot of the wedding group are out-doors type people (but not necessarily all MTBers) and they are planning walks and rock-climbing, and some cycling.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend, if we had to pick one of the 7 stanes or Drumlanrig? I'm hoping to lead a break-away group for at least a second day of MTBing, but I'll see how that pans out...

Most people will probably need to hire bikes, so facilities like that (and a cafe!) would be important! Thanks!

Haven't been to Mabie, although a few of the guys have so I'll let them comment on that (I think that's where Gazz broke his arm?).

Not hugely keen on Ae, didn't think it flowed particularly well. Kirroughtree was very good, overall I think it's a better set of trails than Glentress - the red and black combined is a cracking day's riding. Drumlanrig is the trail-centre that isn't... Lots of lovely old school rooty tracks. Keep in mind they've had some tree disease on the estate and a lot of the trails have been closed, but almost all of the red is now open. Worth giving Rik at the Bike Shed a ring if you're thinking about it, he'll let you know what is/isn't open.

Re:

For a group of non bikers I'd probably say Mabie is your best option. Good options of trails, not hugely technical or overly rocky. Hire on site, I think, but I'd book ahead. Cafe at hire place used to be a bit crap but hotel on site is fantastic.
Also nice walks and kids play park if you have to take any family along.

Re:

Thanks guys. I've just been looking on the 7 Stanes wesbite, it says no cafe or bike hire at Mabie? Is the site wrong?

I was down at Mabie a few weeks back, enjoyed it as always. a few trees down and a diversion near the end of the big run (hopefully now open). the bike shed / cafe wasn't open, not sure of the circumstances, however the hotel onsite offers bar meals.

Re:

We went to Kirroughtree in the end, a group of 7 of us did the blue with red bits in the morning, and then 3 of us stayed on to do the twister in the afternoon. Ran out of time/energy to do the black extension, everyone had a lot of fun, but have to say that we found the twister pretty hard going in places due to all the rocky sections!

On site Bike hire was excellent and very helpful, café is a little too posh for its own good, hungry mountain bikers wanted simple jacket spuds or beans on toast, but the best they could offer was burgers that were so poncey they didn't even come with chips!

On Monday we drove for over an hour to go to Drumlanrig, only to find the bike hire was closed! I'm just about getting over the anger now...

Sorry bike hire was closed at Drumlanrig, its one of my favourite trail centres due to its natural terrain.

Back