My 1948 Clubman

barry2017

Old School Grand Master
My favourite, general purpose road bike, is in need of some love. We've had some great adventures together over the last year, but she deserves a lick of paint, and things keep going wrong. I've another machine that will be pressed into service as transport, so there's nothing to stop me.

So tomorrow, I'm going to take her apart, and send her for re-enamelling.

Watch this space. ;)

Before:

DSCN0340.jpg

I've never done a "faithful" restoration before, but I think this deserves it because its age makes it quite a rare beastie.

First things first: make faithful replicas of the transfers, and get them made up. How well can you do gold on a plastic decal?

Oh yes, there's a picture of one from the same year restored:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleig ... ohler.html

I'm surprised your gpb is something like this, but I understand ;)

Are you doing a resto type job on it or a custom job? Personally I like to see colour coded m/guards on these type of bikes.

My understanding is that gold decals are no problem - basically they are printed onto metallic gold vinyl (or if not vinyl then whatever it is they print onto...).

Please keep updating this as the restoration progresses! :D

Tel":114owp2c said:
I'm surprised your gpb is something like this, but I understand ;)

Are you doing a resto type job on it or a custom job? Personally I like to see colour coded m/guards on these type of bikes.

It's absolutely brilliant, much better suited to daily use than most modern bikes. All other things being equal, it could wipe the floor with a mountain bike. And it's comfy, but unlike most modern road bikes it's strong. Girls like it too. :p

I think a faithful reproduction is the way to go. I have all the original parts apart from a steel drop bar in the weird Raleigh diameter. I even have its original 1948 cellulose mudguards!

Now, what colour do you think "pearlescent green" was? Has anyone got an old picture?

It's original. There aren't that many 1940s club bikes left; I think it has to stay in its original colours.

Plus, I can get a new set of decals from H Lloyd cycles for £17.50!

The half chaincase is quite a good idea though. I might put one of them on a bike at some point in the future.

Latest posts

Back