1965 Moulton Speedsix S works protoype

Velodiversity

Dirt Disciple
Something a little leftfield. In 1965, Jack Lauterwasser went to work for Moulton Bicycles, in charge of their special projects unit. He built a series of TT bikes used by Vic Nicholson and Reg Randall among others. This is the first prototype of that 1965 batch that eventually led to the Speedsix clubman's model. It's currently set up for rideability rather than authenticity. The main problem is that the derailleur hanger was fitted in the wrong place - changed on all later specials - and the Cyclo P2 or other derailleurs fitted were always described as modified' to fit. Consequently after trying almost everything overr the years, a very unfitting and tatty 1980s 105 is about the only thing that enables me to ride it safely. Just been cleaning it up a bit for eroica. need to cloth tape the lower portion of the bars and it'll be ready I hope. Not the usual skinny tyre special, but a great ride.

Attachments

• moulton speed.jpg
    moulton speed.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,174
67. Vic Nicholson's one from the same batch was fitted with a 74/64 using a simplex changer hung from the stub of the cut-off tailpipe, with Campagnolo bar end shifters.

25oxrtg.jpg
as close as I could get to a fast Moulton :)

Back