Merlin titanium roadie 99'

merlinwerks19

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I have a merlin titanium road bike that I've left to languish for many a year.
Well...this is the year I'm hoping to start riding again, so I'd appreciate some input on how/if I should spruce her up to get her road worthy.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/mBgKP

I initially wanted to update her with newer parts (currently everything still works fine but some things, like crank, seem a bit battle-scarred. From a quick skim of this forum, it seems that the preference is to keep the bike stock and parts true to its era, as a part of it's aesthetic appeal. Will the purists snigger behind their backs at me if I update my ride with newer components? Will the hardcore roadies snigger because I am riding a "retro" bike?

Looking for opinions on if and how I should proceed with refreshing my ride. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a good plan to resurrect it :)
Its your frame and you've obviously had it for a long while and have a history with it, so I would update it how you would like to ride it.
I wouldn't worry what anyone else thinks regardless of how you build it, do it how you want it.
Build it how you think you will most enjoy riding it, there are an awful lot of 'purist' and experts about, I wouldn't build a bike for them ;)

Jamie

How about some nice black carbon campag stuff - accentuates the frame and blends with the fork. I would say shiny athena, but it might be a bit too much shiny silver in one go. and some mid section rims (campag scirocco?)
don't worry about period correctness - better to be a practical bike that gets ridden than a shiny museum piece.
some people on here go full period correct because that's what they love to do, others like to go retromod for the unusual aesthetic and the practicality - it's just personal preference.
others (me) go for whatever is lying around as long as it is vaguely functional because they can't afford anything else

good luck whatever you choose

6800 Ultegra and a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites (the 35mm aluminium ones).
A bike that will last for ever with a groupset and wheels that will last about 10 years of regular riding in all weathers.

My $0.02.

Thanks everyone for the excellent ideas.

I had it tuned recently and the mechanics commented on how everything was in very good condition (mostly because this bike has hardly seen asphalt), so I'm likely just to leave all componentry as is until it needs replacing, and update then.

Will look into campy and the magic cosmic elite wheels! Cheers and happy riding.

Latest posts

Back