Raleigh 653 Castorama Replica (Finally got out on it)

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
While I've been doing my team bike I've also been doing this one for a friend.

Its a 1989 frame that would have been bought back in the day as a complete bike, we laid our hands on the frame and luckily it had all its original decals so we used them to get more made. The paint was a bit shabby so it went for a full re-paint at the same time as mine.

As it was when bought

New Decals

We had them made because none of the ones you could buy on line seemed to have any of the cut outs that are individual to the type of frame, we also had a couple of maxi sport ones and his name made to give it that team feel.

At the time of these pictures the 653 decals hadn't been put on and we have left the Campagnolo equipped decal off of the rear stay as he's not sure if it will be Campagnolo or Shimano going on yet.

Hope you all like, these have been some of the hardest decals I have put on a bike what with them being so long.

Updates may be slow on this one but I will try and keep this going.

Re: Raleigh 653 Castorama Replica

It looks a top quality job so far mate and is that paint a pearl finish as it looks a lot more modern than the old Mica ..

Hi Muddy, thanks and yes its a pearl.

We matched it to the paint that was on my team one, under the magnifying glass you could see all the blue and purple bits in it so he found a paint the same but a modern one.

Your welcome Maca and i'm glad you matched it up with the paint on your Team as i think it has more depth to it than metallic or the old mica tbh as i've got a purple pearl finish on my Raleigh mtb and although it needs a T Cut n polish i can see all the lovely colours reflecting back at me when the sun shines on it which i just love so your 653 replica will look superb when it's done so what saddle have you got planned for it then ? ..

Re:

I dont know what he is going to build it with yet.

As hes low on funds at the moment. I think it will have a full 600 ultegra set with a turbo or rolls saddle.

My team one will have an original turbo one

That will look well nice if he does go with the 600 ultegra groupset and i think the turbo would be the way to go imho and yes i don't blame you having an original turbo on your Team as it's well suited to your bike and anything else wouldn't just seem right tbh ;) ..

Indeed Muddy, I think he will go with the shimano and once he has made up his mind we will get a shimano decal made up to go on the rear stay where the campagnolo one use to go.

Yes Maca i do believe the shimano groupset will compliment the frame very nicely and putting a Shimano decal on the rear stay would be in keeping with the original theme of the bike which will add that little finishing touch ;) ..

lovely paintwork and bike!

Back