Batavus Professional

BackRoadWanderer

Dirt Disciple
The Bike and it's story:
20980640696_6f946c8c1f_b.jpg

I bought the bike off a man in Killkenny, Ireland. He bought the bike off a mechanic from the same village who had the bike built for himself back in the day, He was a very nice man and threw in a few very useful extras. Bike is 58cm
20980238176_8de2e9d35b_b.jpg

21014250921_93fa0c34c3_b.jpg

The Bike has a 27mm 3ttt seatpost but I tried a 27.2 seatpost and it fits prefectly, I asked if he knew the tubing but he didn't. I did a small bit of research on Batavus bikes of the era and They could be built in 531, Sl, SLX or SP(only on 58 and above).

I took the bike for a small spin today(hubs are PERFECT) and I couldn't decipher whether the tubing by 'feel'. My Colnago Super is 83 Columbus SL and this Batavus is at least 15% stiffer although it is a smaller frame.

I've given everything a once over with babywipes/wd40 and decided to alter my plans.

The Paint and chrome can't be brought back to a new condition thanks to rust under paint all over the frame so I'm going to keep the bike in it's original state bar a few things as to keep it a budget build.

details of rust:
20876425040_5255849736_b.jpg

21054516732_05b0694f31_b.jpg

I already own a Park Tools Profesional truing stand, spoke tension meter & Dishing tool so rebuilding wheels will be a cheap process, spokes & new nipples being the only cost.

New Plans:

OverHaul Groupset
New BB - (Prob sealed Velo Orange)
Cinelli 1a stem - 110mm stem
Rebuild wheels using double Butted spokes - maybe new rims (Ambrosio Nemesis for sale in local classifieds so I'll see if the seller is willing to sell at a good price)
Restore Chrome & Paint to as high as finish as possible
New Columbus Stickers
Restore Seatpost
Maybe new Hoods
Vittoria Corsa SC II Tubs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1 - Get bike back on the road - Order new Bottom Bracket.

This is one tough ass Bottom Bracket to remove but after a trip to the vice:
21054570072_c9abb823e5_b.jpg

I've ordered a shimano BB off chain reactionreaction(free shipping), cleats for the LOOK 196 pedal & also ordered a Suntour Freewheel removal tool. I looked up the spoke length needed for rebuild and I have a good few leftover DT SWISS Double Butted spokes from my Colnago failed rear wheel build which match the required lengths which is a major plus.

Back