I've hit a purple patch - Ferraroli Grazioso resto-mod build

thekidmalone

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hello everyone,

I picked up this frameset in a local on-line auction early last year, and didn't know exactly what to do with it for the longest time. First, a friend and fellow vintage road bike lover suggested that I do a resto-mod/neo-retro build on one of my other Ferraroli road frames with the lugged, wishbone monostay. I was reluctant to do so on that one, which is Swiss-made and silver-brazed, but I could consider it on this Japanese-sourced frame.

Second, I looked all over for a suitable seat post in grey, hoping to get a match to a TTT bar and stem that I had. Unfortunately, since the Japanese Ferrarolis use 26.8mm seat tubes, I was unsuccessful. Then, I found the pictured NOS American Classic post in white on eBay, and the build started rolling. I painted the Nitto stem to match, and ordered some white lever hoods.

Third, I saw the Brooks Colt saddle and leather bar tape in purple, and knew I had to have them for this bike. I don't normally ride with Brooks saddles, but I have, and like the way that one sees the purple leather color suspended above the frame by the white stem and post, but looking down through the gradient on the frame, one can see it repeated somewhere within the fade.

Finally, I built the bike with modern parts left over from my BMC teammachine SLR01, but the wheels just looked too dark and heavy with black-walled tires. Thankfully, Continental make the brown-walled Grand Prix Classic tires in the same 700 x 25 size as the Grand Prix 4000 S II tires which came off the bike. The wooden bar end plugs are a near-perfect match.

This frame is a bit too small for my long legs, but my preferred 177.5mm crank arm length helps in that respect. I also have a larger, older, Swiss-made Ferraroli frame in the midst of a more period-correct build, but that's a project for another post.

Thanks for your time and attention,
The Kid

Attachments

• IMG_2714.JPG
    IMG_2714.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,272
  • IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Brooks.jpg
    Brooks.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Re:

As a long-time member of the Mono-Wishbone Stay Appreciation Society (M-WSAS), this frame brings tears of joy to my jaded eyes. :)

Re:

Oh thats nice. Is it a boutique maker?

Like Scarlett Johansson's - I can't stop checking out that rear end either ;)

Re:

Hello everyone, and thanks for the comments on this bike's rear view, which I agree with completely.

The Ferraroli brothers, Alain and Florent, built bikes under their family name from 1982-1998, primarily in the French-speaking, Jura mountain city of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. Their top-end, silver-brazed, sur mesure (made to measure) bikes cost a small fortune back then, but most are underappreciated and fully depreciated in the present day.

This frame represents part of an effort to take the Ferraroli brand to relatively affordable price levels in the 1990s. A Japanese frame maker brazed them to off-the-rack sizes and geometries in Japan, then sent them to Switzerland for paint and assembly. The fork is also missing the more elaborate and elegant crowns typical of their Swiss-manufactured road bikes.

Still, as several of you have noted, regardless of this model's prêt-à-porter past, it still reflects much of Ferraroli's haute couture élégance to the present day. Boutique enough for you? ;)

Cheers,
The Kid

Back