Robster's Vitus 992

Robster914

Retro Guru
I've got another one on the go at the moment. My rubbish photos don't do it justice, it is superb blue with a deep purple tinge in sun light.

What I didn't realise is the attention to detail to the castings such as the headtube and bottom bracket - I love it!

interestingly it came stickered up - and then lacquered (badly)! much scrubbing and polishing and she is now ship shape.

doing a bit of a campag 8 speed chorus build for it.

if any one has got a matching front wheel (campag omega V tub 32 hole on a C/record or Chorus hub with oil port- please do let me know!)

Re:

A couple more bits bolted on...

it would be great if anyone had a period brochure with these bikes/frames, I can't find anything on the web.

Does any one know how much the cost of these frames compared with contemporary bikes of the time?

many thanks!

Re:

Very nice Sir.
I'm building a later version, painted frame with the STI adjusters on the headtube. I have a brochure from 1997, that includes the anodised 992 in Royal Blue, Titanium Grey and Purple.

PM me your e mail if you want a copy, (I'd put it in the archive if I knew how).

I was thumbing through a 1991 Cycling Weekly earlier. K Cycles on the Wirral were charging £495 for a dural 992.By comparison 979's were at £375 and Carbone 9's at £750. Graham Weigh had 979's at £350, and their own Columbus SLX at £310.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

John

Re:

Hi John,

pm duly on the way! many thanks for the pricing info, they obviously were high end back in the day then - I also guess that explains why there aren't many carbone 9's about....

I still think Vitus frames of the 80's/90's are most underrated for those not in the know. I think the scare stories of glued lugs failing and flexible frames has put people off, particularly with the 979. I saved many months of paper round earnings to buy a 979 in 1988. Had it a few years until it met an untimely end when I rode into the back of a parked car in Bristol. I bent the frame and forks but joints held just as strong as a steel bike. My current 979 is still the lightest 'metal' bike I have owned, it has a unique feel, and always feels really fast so looking forward to getting this 992 on the road to see how it compares.

Re:

Things have moved on since last post.....

These wheels are off another bike, but wanted to get it together to get her out for a maiden run this weekend.

Must work out how to do better photos, they really don't do the bike justice..

The bike looks great. The blue is very smart. I hope to get a similar Selle Italia Flite saddle.
I'm using the same groupset, what gearing are you using??
Still looking for a set of wheels, Campagnolo or Mavic but will have to raise my budget !

Re:

Hi Borris, many thanks for the kind words. Gearing is 52/42 at front 12 to 23 at back. Luckily not too many mega hills round here. I found a photo of myself time trialling on my vitus 979 in the early 90's, had a 52/42 front and straight through block with 19 largest rear sprocket. I am at a point where it is long enough ago to start wondering if it was not me but someone else in those photos! :LOL:

Re:

You should post that photo!
Ditto with the 52-42, currently 13-23 but going to try 13-28 as very hilly here. Hope it fits, as running out of gears on the hills.
Who supplied your decals?

Back