Just acquired - info to follow...

Attachments

• ST500 a.jpg
    ST500 a.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 2,434
  • ST500 b.jpg
    ST500 b.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2,434
Continuing my interest in pairing collected mountainbikes with their roadbike equivalents, I have obtained a charcoal-coloured Cannondale to match my ongoing SM500 project. A 'BB XXXX' serial number which indicates a 1984 model year (the second year Cannondale made bicycles), this Cannondale was brought over to the UK by a US serviceman stationed in East Anglia, retailing for $600 and weighing in at a rather scandalous 23lbs. Subsequently sold to a local Peterborough bike shop it loitered there unused from the late-eighties to the present day, indicated further by the retention of the American-style brake arrangement. Sitting on 27" Wolber rims, other interesting features including the Tange steel front fork and a triple chainset 48-44-30/rear cluster of 13-15-18-21-25-30. I expect this gearing will be a sound investment in my later years... ;-)

Re:

hi,i'd be well pleased with a find like that :) really different seeing a cannondale with classic style
cabling ! and the weight about the same as 531 ?used to read the reviews about build quality in cycling plus mag and they were alway's good.

Re:

i gues this is it then, other than new tyres and a clean up service end of ? a classic cannondale original spec with 27"rims! a steel fork, 30 years old, pretty cool.id be well happy.

I rode it around and decided I liked it enough to ride more regularly. It feels so snappy and light compared to my other touring option - a relatively heavy steel Ibis. It could be a perfect mini-tour/long day tool. The bars have been crushed at some point so need replacing, will take the opportunity to fit a wider pair with cross-tops; the brake pads have perished so I might store the brake-set and put something more effective on that doesn't unduly distract the eye; and replace the spokes with stainless ones. Other than that, I search for some original Cannondale panniers and bags to complete the look.

Wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes and serviced hubs; secured some period Cannonade panniers and clothing - so it might just be ready for a forthcoming cobbled* tour...

* Hence saddle choice! :roll:

Attachments

• 1984 Cannondale ST.jpg
    1984 Cannondale ST.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,995
Nice and should have time on the ferry to sort out the cable routing, bar angle, brake lever positioning and bar tape. I can bring a more simpatico saddle too......

Back