Adam's Raleigh 531c

MisterAdam

Retro Newbie

Adam's Raleigh 531c

The idea to build this bike came around December last year. My dad and I occasionally do some sportive cycling. Thinking of the 24 year age gap, I decided that I should have a small weight handicap. So I set out to restore and ride a vintage racer. Of course at the time I didn't know that decent steel is actually pretty fast. But that's probably for the best because my dad isn't all that slow either.
My original plan was to dig my uncle's old Zeus out off the shed, but it turned out that at some stage the frame had been sold to a travelling scrap-metal merchant. I ended up sourcing everything on the Internet.
I knew almost nothing about bicycle mechanics. I could change a tube and adjust my brakes. I had tried to adjust a rear derailleur. Predictably, a few mistakes were made; I bought an Italian thread bottom bracket and I tried to use an adjustable wrench to attach my cranks. But for the most part, everything came together surprisingly smoothly. Apart from the wheels, I built everything myself. It cost 4 months of my free time and around €1,100.
I didn't aim to restore a particular model of bike. Authenticity isn't something I really care for. Instead, I constructed a mish-mash of all my favourite bike parts from the 80s. I hope you like it.

Crankset & Brake Levers

Down Tube Friction Shifters

Fork with Reynolds 531c Decal

Raleigh 531c Front View

Drivetrain

Frameset:
• Frame: Raleigh 531c, 52cm, manufactured in Raleigh’s Workshop Factory in 1985
• Forks: Reynolds 531 fork blades

Groupset:
• Cranks: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport 170mm
• Chainrings: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport 52/42t
• Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Nuovo Record, English threaded, 68SS axle
• Brake Levers: Campagnolo C-Record with “Power Grade”
• Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport
• Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo 990
• Freewheel: Sunrace 13-28T 7-Speed
• Chain: KMC Z82 7-8 Speed

Wheelset:
• Rims: Mavic Open Pro
• Hubs: Campagnolo Athena 36H
• Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa SC II 700 x 25c

Components:
• Brakes: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport
• Handlebars: 3TTT Competizione
• Handlebar Tape: Toshi leather handlebar tape
• Stem: 3TTT quill stem 90mm
• Saddle: San Marco Regal
• Seatpost: Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport
• Pedals: Shimano M540 SPD Pedals
• Bottle Cage: Nitto Stainless Steel T

Photo credit: B. Fortune

Very smart :)

The hand holding the bike up made me smile :D I Guess it's your dad lying down on the lawn :)

Shaun

Re:

Very pretty, nicely done! Is that the original paint scheme? Either way it looks great! Good choice of components too. :)

No, I had to have it repainted. When I got it it was metallic blue, but it been sprayed badly. I think the original colour was red as there was some red left on the inside of the frame. The colour I chose was used on some Raleigh Grand Prix's sold in the American market in the mid-eighties.

Just as an aside, Worksop closed in 1981 and production was transferred to nottingham..........but nottingham kept up with the "W" numbers for some of it's lightweight frames :D

Colour is like Lagoon Blue............one of the best bike colours of all time :D

Shaun

That looks really good mate, well done. I haven't seen many mix and matches that have worked out that well.

You got the brakes the right way round as well (rear on right). Cue lots of discussion about which way is correct!!

Latest posts

Back