1984 Raleigh Competition rebuild

Wigan bear

Retro Newbie
Really got back into cycling this summer, nothing daft just out with mates or the wife with a few pints chucked in. I bought the bike new and looked after it, but it was looking a bit tired and scruffy. I’d been thinking about getting it painted for ages but never got round to it.

After one ride I noticed one of the rear stays had come lose, its the shot in style used for a few years. That was the excuse I needed to strip It down and get it repainted. I spent ages thinking was I doing the right thing, original or change, all the people I spoke to mostly said original for value etc, but in the end I cant see me ever selling it so went with a change.

Frames in for repair then paint. I never really liked the colour, it was just the colour it came with, so a colour change was in order and have gone for, duck egg blue, black lug lining and an off white band on the main tube with black decals in the original style.

The rims had been replaced years ago in black, so they are staying. The front SunTour cyclone derailleur had a crack in it so I’ve purchased a NOS one. The original seat had rusty rails so I’ve purchased a sella Italia turbo in light brown. I’ve purchased some new brooks bar tape, non leather in honey brown. Rear derailleur has been stripped and polished. Original seat stem has been polished. The rest of it is in decent nick with the original anodising still intact, apart from the brakes.

Items looking out for is just, new brake hoods and some decent main bolt bodies for the brake rebuild. Also need some clips for the SR SP-12 pedals and dust caps. Are pedal dust caps standard size?

Will take a few pictures when it comes back from paint.

The only thing is, when its all done I’m going to need another as a beater when the weather is bad!!!

Sounds good, and a nice choice of colours.
Look forward to seeing it as well.

Jamie

Re:

Like the sound of this - got any pics of the progress?

If it's of any interest I finished putting one together a bit earlier in the summer - a year younger than yours but same frame design I think with the fastback stays.

Mine still has really nice condition original paint and decals, so have left it for now, but may tidy up at some point down the line, for now it's getting some miles put on it as it's a great ride and my only road bike, built up with full Shimano 600. -there's a full build thread in Readers Rides.

I really like the frame with the cut out lugs and seat stays, tempted to find another one and do a period correct resto in the pale blue colour, so look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6185.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 1,124
Re:

Also need some clips for the SR SP-12 pedals and dust caps. Are pedal dust caps standard size?
I don't have any Campag. pedals, but I guess the MKS caps that are available are Campag size/thread, because they also fit a pair of Gipiemme Campag. copy pedals I have. I also have a pair of SR100AL pedals, which are more or less Campag. copies too, although not such slavish copies as the Gipiemme, but the MKS caps don't fit them. The SR pedals have a smaller diameter thread.

Re: Re:

torqueless":j2gficwb said:
Also need some clips for the SR SP-12 pedals and dust caps. Are pedal dust caps standard size?
I don't have any Campag. pedals, but I guess the MKS caps that are available are Campag size/thread, because they also fit a pair of Gipiemme Campag. copy pedals I have. I also have a pair of SR100AL pedals, which are more or less Campag. copies too, although not such slavish copies as the Gipiemme, but the MKS caps don't fit them. The SR pedals have a smaller diameter thread.

Thanks for confirming I was looking at MKS caps but came across some posts on a few forums. I may try some rubber blanking plugs, if I can find any that fit.

Re:

No update on the build yet.I have been busy stripping down the componants and degreasing, cleaning etc.

I keep having a wobble on the colour. Its deffo not going to be the original iridescent green, but may be tempted to go a flam dark green. Also thinking about turning it into a Gran Course in light metallic blue, exactly the same year and frame spec, just that was the off the peg frame rather than a complete bike

Re:

NOS SP-12 pedals have just arrived. Purchased on ebay for £26 which I think is a good price, just need the toe clips

Any recommendations for a new chain. The bikes got a 6 speed suntour freewheel and suntour cyclone derailleur, all from 1984.

Toe clips have been found so they should arrive this week.

All that I’m now missing are some brake hoods, new chain, straps for the clips and a front skewer

Back