A case of too far gone...

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This "barn find" has just been delivered by a friend of mine and is in a right state. I think there's very little that can be rescued, at first glance the rear mech, gear levers and (non-matching) brake calipers are possibly usable. As for the rest I'll have to strip it all down and see!

Nasty looking top tube damage

Snapped stem and cracked headset race

Nice detailing on the gear lever bosses

Campag long arm rear mech...

but it might be cracked

Stay tuned...
Mark.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 800
  • Ouch.jpg
    Ouch.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 800
  • Headset.jpg
    Headset.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 800
  • NiceDetail.jpg
    NiceDetail.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 800
  • RearMech.jpg
    RearMech.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 800
  • RearMechCrack.jpg
    RearMechCrack.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 800
IMHO the frame is fit for making pipe wrench breaker bars. The rest all looks salvageable and serviceable.

Would be interesting to know how the damage happened......head down full on in the Paris Roubaix and went
through the rear windscreen of a stationary team car perhaps? Or a moron dropped a crate of Newcastle Brown
Ale from the 4th floor on it?

Re:

Hi there daccordimark

I'm on the look out for a pair of forks for my 1980 BSA Prima. If yours are able to be separated from the rest of the frame I would take them off your hands for a reasonable price plus postage. I need a one inch steerer about 187mm (7.4") long. Would it be possible to check out yours? Most grateful if you can. Thanks.

Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":3sna5yi5 said:
Hi there daccordimark

I'm on the look out for a pair of forks for my 1980 BSA Prima. If yours are able to be separated from the rest of the frame I would take them off your hands for a reasonable price plus postage. I need a one inch steerer about 187mm (7.4") long. Would it be possible to check out yours? Most grateful if you can. Thanks.

I'm hoping to keep them together but will let you know if that changes.
Mark.

So I thought I would tackle the rear mech this weekend as it's the most serviceable looking part at first glance. Both pivots were very stiff, the jockey wheels hardly spun and it was pretty gunked up. You tell from the first photo that the lower pivot was stiff enough to stop the cage from rotating back to it's normal resting position.

The back view - lots of grime!

There was only one thing for it, a complete rebuild! Well nearly complete, I chickened out of removing the parallelogram pins in case they weren't the replaceable type. There was plenty of hardened grease in those pivots and general gunk everywhere but after a goodly while it was all ready to go back together.

It turned out the potential crack in the body round the top pivot was just a minor imperfection in the forging of the V-shape and some minor scratches. The only part missing is the barrel adjuster but for a friction shifting system I figure that's not an issue. A quick polish and it's all ready to go on my Daccordi at some point so I can get lower gears for the cobbled climbs of West Yorkshire. Putting it back on the donor frame wouldn't be period correct in the unlikely event the frame gets repaired.

Now the cage rotates properly!

Attachments

• RDBC1.jpg
    RDBC1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 533
  • RDBC2.jpg
    RDBC2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 533
  • RDAC1.jpg
    RDAC1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 533
  • RDAC2.jpg