Reg Harris Frame Respray

I've been watching and learning as well so your not really on your own :D
Its a interesting story, thanks for the links.
Your frame looks really nicely built and should build up nicely.
What's your ideas for the finish?
It might be nice and sunny with 24 degree down south but its a bit more wintery up here :)

Jamie

Thanks Jamie

Wintery? Oh,like 23 1/2 degrees? (shhhhh Mike's from California!) Yeah, sounds chilly! Of course, every pub serves free whiskey in Scotland so there's something I suppose.

Not sure about learning but thanks for watching.

I am going to do........(drumroll)

EXACTLY the original paint job. There was just enough to get all the info I needed which is nice. Flamboyant darkish red on top of a pale gold. When it comes to these flamboyant finishes (translucent ink on top of a base) there are only 4 or 5 different colours of ink. If you can even see a flake of the original colour it's relatively easy to figure it out. Of course you need a suppliers colour chart which my paint shop lets me borrow. The other question is what colour was the base? There are maybe 12 to 15 different options but again if there is any left it's very doable. Off the top of my head I think there are 2 different gold bases available (one light, one dark). I'm still learning but I think the colour choices are the same now as ever.

Sorry, lots of info but it's a new finish for me so I find it interesting. It's quite expensive and trickier to lay on flat than normal 2k paint but the finish is great. More to the point, this is exactly how a lot of decent steel frames were painted from the 30's (?) on.

It's a bit windy to be painting this weekend so I'll try and get around to rebuilding a Raleigh Lenton '54 I've just finished and post some pics.

SullyW5":2u9h4ldi said:
Thanks for the support Mike!

I need to get you a cheerleader outfit

ugly-cheerleaders01.jpg

:p : Mike :D

The Reg Harris frame is very nice, and I am looking forward to seeing how the project progresses, especially the flam paint job.

Thanks Cefnbikie

A quick update. Weather wasn't the best for painting so distracted myself with another project or seven.

Coming to the end of prepping and priming:

So far I have used:
Etch Primer (1st step...not essential but much better bond to metal)
Standard Grey Primer
Filler Primer (that's the yellow)

Filler primer is something I'm still experimenting with....it is made to be sandable so a bit thicker than standard primer. It's great for covering very small scratches caused by the stripping process and the colour helps identify imperfections. Just a note, I don't cover small dents or build imperfections, I just cover my own mistakes.

A day to dry and sand and then I'll crack on with the paint.

Attachments

• DSC_0414.jpg
    DSC_0414.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 834
Back