A Few Bits

team_lard

Devout Dirtbag
I'm told that these bits are all desirable in some way. If it is complete cobblers then just tell me.

Pictures will have to wait until the weekend I'm afraid.

1. Simplex 'skeleton' alloy downtube friction gear levers. I have heard these described as the finest non-index shifters ever, bar none. Light use supplied with all shims and fittings. Removed from my Basso as I'm fitting NOS 8spd Ergos

£25 posted

2. 'Mavic' branded Modolo single pivot brake calipers. Allen key fitting. Need a polish. Not sure how old the pads are. Removed from the Basso

£30 posted

3. Campagnolo Record 8 speed downtube shift lever set. Boxed. Brand new. Built in grub screw on the right hand lever allows 'on the fly' indexing adjustment. Beautifully finished with engraved Campagnolo logo on each lever. Bike pr0n at its filthiest! Real jewellery.

£50 posted

Like I say if you think these are OTT then just let me know. If you like the price and want the bits then let's talk.

I can meet, post, courier or WHY.

Live in Manchester, work in Leeds.

Offers by PM please.

luv'n'stuff

John

Item 1. is probably the Simplex Retrofriction and if so, yes, they are the best friction ones out there - Kinda reverse action making it easier to change up the block (15 to a 16) than down (15 to a 14).

I loved these in the eighties. :p

I got over £80 when I sold mine to an eBay USA buyer. The key to these is how chewed the screws are. Sheldon Brown quotes:-

A trademark of Simplex for a very highly-regarded down-tube shift lever that appeared shortly before the successful introduction of indexed shifting.
Many cyclists consider these the finest "friction" type shift levers ever made.

With a pure friction lever, the friction has to at least equal the maximum pull of the derailer spring. When these are close, it takes almost no effort to push the lever forward (loosening the cable and the spring,) because the spring is helping you push the lever forward.

However, when you pull backward on the lever, tightening the cable, you are working against both the resistance of the friction clutch in the shift lever and the spring tension.

This creates an asymmetry of lever force between upshifting and downshifting.

With a "retrofriction" system, a pawl-less ratchet disengages the friction clutch as you pull the lever backward, so you're only working against the spring. This gives a notably nicer feel to the shifter.

A lot of Campag levers were replaced with these in the 70s and 80s.

I'm not greedy. I think these prices are realistic and reflect the condition and age.

At least I know that I'm not taking the p155. ;)

Appreciate the heads up

luv'n'stuff

J

It was this that prompted me to value them, from Harris Cyclery, part of Sheldon Brown:-

Things We DON'T Have (and cannot get.)
Please don't even bother asking us for:
Used Parts
Ideale leather saddles
Frewheels or parts for Helicomatic hubs.
AVA bars & stems
Simplex Retrofriction shift levers

How ironic that these li'l gems should be linked with the Simplex rear mechs, the worst ever!

The Prestige was awful - it had stops made from Delrin, a plastic. After a while, the Delrin wore away against the steel stop screws and this invariably resulted in the derailleur cage diving into the spokes when you were hunting for a climbing gear! :(

OK deal done. Campag levers sold.

Simplex levers and Mavic brakes open to offers.

Late 80s 500EX aero levers. White hoods, fair condition, tenner anyone?

Wanted Some straight - not riser - MTB bars. Zoom, Uno, wotcha got?

Back