For sale: ALAN Super Corsa Carbonio frame - pristine!

Wheelnut

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ALAN CORSA SUPER CARBONIO carbon-aluminium frame and forks with Campag headset.

Frame size 60cm seat tube (61c-t) to suit riders of around 6ft.

I bought this Italian thoroughbred brand new (old stock) a few years ago. It was built up and I used it very occasionally on dry roads - I have probably covered no more than a couple of hundred miles on it. The rest of the time it has been hung on the wall as 'art'.

Not sure how old it is but it probably dates from the 1990s. I understand that the Spanish Teka cycling team used similar frames for their team bikes in the late 80s. Also, BH used ALAN frames.

ALAN is a small Italian producer famed for their 'glued and screwed' process of bonding dural or carbon tubes into alloy lugs. The very first ever carbon bike frame (a prototype built by Raleigh in 1973, I believe) was based on ALAN lugs with aerospace carbon tubes. The frame here is effectively a productionised version built by ALAN. It is extremely light for the era. The frame weighs about 1680g (good for a frame this size) and the alloy fork weighs about 520g according to my scales.

As you can see from the pictures it is in almost-as-new condition. There is one tiny mark on the down tube and also some paint has rubbed off from one of the chainstays. The carbon beneath the paint is unaffected. Also, there is some 'spidering' beneath the lacquer in a couple of places on the alloy seat-cluster and the bottom bracket. This was there before I got the frame but could easily be polished out after removing some of the lacquer from the alloy. The pictures show these imperfections. The head lugs are not affected at all and these feature typical ALAN engravings.

Overall, the condition of this frame is quite outstanding. It comes complete with a Campagnolo headset in excellent condition.

With its steep angles (74deg), its light weight and a short wheelbase it is an excellent climber. It also gives a comfortable ride.

This was a state-of-the-art and very expensive frameset in its day. Nowadays, ALAN frames are quite collectible and this is one of the rarest of them all with its airbrushed artwork. I have seen several of these ALAN Carbonio frames in bare carbon but have yet to see a similar one to this.

The price I am asking is £320. NOW SOLD

Attachments

• alan0013w.jpg
    alan0013w.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,787
  • alan0021w.jpg
    alan0021w.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3,787
  • alan0034w.jpg
    alan0034w.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,785
  • alan0026w.jpg
    alan0026w.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,787
More pics:

Attachments

• alan0061w.jpg
    alan0061w.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,780
  • alan0051w.jpg
    alan0051w.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,780
  • alan0016w.jpg
    alan0016w.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 3,780
That looks like an expressive fun frame. Quite a lot resemblance with my Super Record btw. Chapeau for the extensive description and good quality pics.

My old Alan 'cross frame is still probably the most 'special' frameset I've had the pleasure of owning, and this is just in another league entirely.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Possibly the loveliest thing I've seen, I'm going to have the horn all bloody day now!

Hello

I have dropped you a PM on the CTC forum about this frameset.

Please let me know if you haven't received it!

Best

Tim

Back