FS: hubs/rims Airlite, Campag, Mavic, Dura Ace UPDATED 4/6

walkmanman

Senior Retro Guru
PLEASE DIBS ITEMS AFTER FIRST CHECKING IF THEY'RE ALREADY DIBSED OR SOLD. THANX!
UPDATE ON 23/4/17- see end of list
5/5/17 UPDATE: price drops, see final post for details.
4/6/17 UPDATE: extra (used) rims added to the NOS ones below.

I've accumulated a good few hubs and rims I won't be using, so have decided to sell them on. The rims are NOS, hubs are used. Dibs then PM please. Prices don't include postage, from memory the rims will cost £6 each/for a pair, but I'll confirm about this later. Collection from north London welcome:)
I also have several pairs of rim tapes- see the bottom of the list. Also, I'll happily throw in generic Shimano skewers, for any of the QR hubs, if they're needed- and for a cost I can provide Campag skewers for the hubs by this manufacturer.

Mavic CXP33 700C NOS rims x2
The black one is 36 hole, silver one 32 hole. Both are v shaped and have machined braking surfaces. They're fitted with the inserts which the nipple heads push against, instead of the v shaped part of the rim. The rims have been stored properly so, despite their not having their original packaging, they've avoided the scuffs etc items can get whilst being stored.
A good selection of hubs available below to lace them to:)
£15> £13> £11 each.

Used rims:
All the rims from this point in the thread are used rims as well as 700C size. Details about any brake wear and other marks are mentioned in the individual notes for each rim below, but collectively all the rims are true and fully circular as per their being able to be stood next to each other with their sides touching the one alongside at all points. This test shows they're all equally circular, too.

Mavic Module E rim
A 36 hole rim. One of the narrowest vintage racing rims you'll find. Single eyeletted. Virtually no signs of braking done on this, a few slight marks to the ano finish is all. One side does show some minor scrapes though- see the second pic which shows the most noticeable of them.
£10

Rigida rim
A 36 hole rim. Quite a narrow section rim. Non eyeletted. Looks to be 60's/70's vintage, to me. Hardly any brake wear showing on this, the pads have left faint marks but that is all.
£6

Weinmann concave rim
A 36 hole rim. Non eyeletted. Quite a wide section rim and known to be a pretty robust model. Virtually no signs of braking done on this, just a few slight rubber marks to be seen. And some slight staining around the eyelets which I couldn't completely remove.
£6

Unbranded alloy rim
A 36 hole rim. Quite a wide section rim. Single eyeletted. Probably 70's/80's vintage. Minor signs of braking showing on the braking surface. The rest of the rim is pretty shiny.
£5

Korabar RD1205 rims x2
A pair of fairly modern 36 hole rims. Quite deep 'aero' profile and narrow section. Non eyeletted. These are the machined braking surface type. One of them shows the machining removed a fair bit, the other having virtually no wear in comparison- must have been for front wheel use. The profiled rim surface has one or two marks here and there.
£6

Rigida rim
This is a modern 36 hole rim. Single eyeletted. This has been de-stickered, but I know it as a Rigida rim, think it's the Chrinos model. It's the machined braking surface type and these show no visible wear. Can't see any other wear elsewhere either except for the mark from the innertube valve nut being fastened down.
£6

Shimano 600 and RX100 front hubs
Both 36 hole hubs. These look like they've only had minimal use- mechanically, the hubs are sound, bearings are buttery smooth and the cones/races only show faint circles at the points where the bearings make contact. Cosmetically, the hubs only show one or two marks around their centres. The only noticeable things to mention are some slight marks from spoke pressure on the flanges. Price £10 and £7> £6> £5

Sachs Maillard rear hub. 36 spoke holes. The hub shows no branding (unless you count the Sachs Mailard skewer which I believe is the original one) but I should mention that it looks to be a very similar design to the Sachs New Success hub, and quite possibly this Sachs Maillard model was the forerunner of that 90's one IMO. Edit: after just checking on the Velobase site, I've discovered what's quite probably this model: it looks to be exactly the same hub, bar different coloured axle spacers and the fact that make and model are printed on the hub shell. The skewer is also the same. Make/model is Sachs Maillard New Success. This hub was used with the above Shimano 600 hub and looks like it's had a similar amount of use- mechanically, the hub is sound, sealed cartridge bearings are buttery smooth and all threads are good. Cosmetically, the hub only shows a few oxidizing marks around its centre. The only noticeable things to mention are some slight marks from spoke pressure on the flanges. Price £10.

Mavic 501rear hub. 32 spoke holes. This looks like it's had only minimal use- mechanically, the hub is sound, sealed cartridge bearings are buttery smooth, threaded parts aren't seized and alloy axle shows no damage from the dropouts etc. Cosmetically, the hub only shows some fading of the Mavic 501 logos. The only noticeable things to mention are some slight marks from spoke pressure on the flanges. Another thing to mention is that the hub is fitted with an alloy spacer to allow some kind of unusual freewheel to be fitted. This might have come factory fitted, since it can't simply be slid off, despite its ability to slide forwards until the thread checks its movement. Since it's an alloy one, this could simply be cut off if it's not needed. OLN is 130mm, but this can be reduced to 126mm when a spacer is removed (NB there are no other spacers). Price £15.

Bayliss Wiley hubset
This is quite a rare Bayliss Wiley 50's hubset. 32/40 spoke holes. Track/solid axle design. I can't identify the set's model- a search of the Velobase site shows that the model's alloy flanges/steel barrel design is very similar outwardly to their other models but there's no other info of where it stands in the company's hierarchy. Cosmetically, the set's condition is a mixed bag- the front hub looks pretty much perfect, but the rear has some obvious flaking to the chrome finish. The corrosion has hardly effected the steel underneath the chrome though, so IMO the lack of pitting would make for an excellent re-chrome job, if the new owner felt the need. Mechanically, the hub is sound, bearings have been regreased and cones and races show minimum wear with no pitting. The alloy flanges are in pretty much excellent condition bar some slight marks from spoke pressure. I can include vintage track nuts if they're needed. Front hub has the standard 100mm OLN, rear is 120mm, and there are spacers to reduce this by a few mm's (the maximum). The rear is a fixed and freewheel design, with threads good on both sides. BSC threading. Price £25.

Campagnolo hubset.
Manufacturer is Campagnolo, although I don't know which model, seeing as it's design is one which was identical to many the manufacturer's other models (Xenon, Athena, Chorus, at least) during the early 90's (when these hubs come from)- when the only outward difference was in the design of the skewers each had. Unfortunately, I never owned the original skewers belonging to the hubs:)
Mechanically, everything's in good order. The cartridge bearings are silky smooth and threads are fine. The rear hub has had more wear than the front though, and one of the cones shows a rough patch of about a mm which can be felt when traced with a fingernail, but doesn't go any deeper. Besides this, the cones and races are excellent with only the circular lines where the bearings make contact. OLN on the rear hub is 130mm. I'm happy to include a pair of same type Campag skewers, if they're needed, but obviously this would bump up the price a fair bit.
£18> £16> £14 the pair, or can split.

Ritchey modern 700C and 650C rim tapes
These are the plastic snap-on type, so not made of glue-backed fabric to be pressed around the rim. Come in a range of colours:)
£3> £2 each packet of two.

Pelissier rear hub
A 36 hole hub. OLN is 126mm and it's a quick release hub (I can provide a similar vintage French quick release for a small cost). The hub's manufacturer is well thought of with the touring crowd due to the rear bearings famously resisting the damage normally caused from bearing the extra weight from fully loaded rear panniers. And this example is in lovely condition- mechanically, the hub is sound, bearings are buttery smooth and the cones/races only show faint circles at the points where the bearings make contact. Cosmetically, the hub only show a couple of marks around its centre. The only noticeable things to mention are some slight marks from spoke pressure on the flanges.
Price £10.

Maillard front hub
A 36 hole hub. This looks like it's only had minimal use- mechanically, the hub is sound, bearings are buttery smooth and the cones/races only show faint circles at the points where the bearings make contact. Cosmetically, the hubs only shows some fading to the logo on its centre. The only noticeable thing to mention is some slight marks from spoke pressure on the flanges.
Price £4> £3

Dura Ace FC-7403 hubset
A lovely 36 hole Dura Ace hubset with original skewers. These were the last of the 74** series, and were 8 speed compatible, although the discontinued Hyperglide cassettes could still be used if a spacer were fitted, thanks to the new freehub body having the HG threads. Mechanically, the hubs are excellent, with the cones and races showing rings on the bearing contact points, with no wear besides this. The freehub body clicks loudly. And altogether, I rate the hubset as being in virtually new condition, with only one or two marks to the flanges from spoke pressure showing they've had some usage. There is a tiny scuff on top of the logo of the front hub though. OLN 130mm.
£35

Shimano Exage HB-RM50 hubset
I bought these as a 32 hole NOS hubset, although unboxed and without their original skewers. To be sure of the NOS status, I've checked the cones/bearings and they're unused. Condition elsewhere is excellent also, bar a small dink above right of the rear's logo, due to being stored without their boxes. The freehub body is for 8 speed, and has the same HG feature as mentioned above for the Dura Ace hubset. I've supplied the skewers in the pics- they're same design Shimano ones, and I believe they're of the same vintage as the hubset. OLN 130mm.
£16> £14

British Hubs Airlite rear hub with original BH track nuts
This is an example of the small flange version of the famous 50's Airlite. It's the track variant as well though, with the solid axle, despite their being seeming holes in the ends of them:) 40 spoke holes. It's a fixed/fixed double sided design. Cosmetically, the hub is only average condition, with the most noticeable issue being some obvious flaking to the chrome finish. This is a tad better than the above Bayliss Wiley rear though, and also the corrosion has hardly effected the steel underneath the chrome, so IMO the lack of pitting would make for an excellent re-chrome job, if the new owner felt the need. Hub flanges show some marks from spoke pressure. Mechanically, the hub is sound, bearings have been regreased and cones and races show minimum wear with no pitting. OLN is 110mm, and could be shortened/lengthened by a few mm's. Threads are good on both sides, as well as for the axle/nuts, although the axle shows slight worn patches where the dropouts have made contact over the years. I can also include same era track cogs and locknuts, if they're needed.
£20> £17

Re: FS: hubs, rims & tape- Campag, Mavic, Shimano, Bayliss Wiley

Put me second in line please to buy the Bayliss-Wiley hubset.

Re:

Sachs hub and Bayliss Wiley hubset sold!
And I've also updated the thread with two new hubs, see the final two listed above.
NB for bike parts of the slightly more unusual variety, you might like to view my other thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=367043

Back