DeKerf Implant

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm not sure if I have posted here before; I cant remember if I posted my 2001 Yates... no matter.

I was not looking for this frame, well, I sort of was, as I had recently sold a Dave Yates frame made of 853 that while nice, was a little on the stiff side for me.

So, having discovered the joys of DeKerf, the prospect of a more modern frame, made of 853 that could be picked up with only a short drive appealed.... so I bought it complete with Pace RC36 forks.

As the forks had some red on them and as the frame is a dark metallic chocolate brown, I thought some red detail would suit, so headset, seatpost clamp and skewers are all Hope and all red. Seatpost, stem and bars are all Truvativ and came straight off the Yates. Shifters are 3 x 9 SRAM X0 and brakes are Magura Louise. Cranks are RaceFace, chain rings are cheapies from Superstar, pedals are Time Aliums. F&R mechs are SRAM X9. Wheels are Shimano XT hubs with Mavic XC717 rims and tyres are some Maxxis that my daughter said are good, so I thought I'd give them a try. Oh saddle, a Flite titanium borrowed from my son... who has several.... as ya do.

The brakes ended up delaying this build for quite a while. Why was that Neil? Well, I'll tell you.

First, I know NOTHING about hydraulic disc brakes for bikes, so not wanting to waste money, I did a lot of research before an RB member offered me a set of Magura Louise brakes with Aztec discs at a sensible price.

Brakes secured, they now needed to be mounted and the hoses shortened, so off to the LBS to order a Magura service kit. Kit in hand, I then bought a couple of mounts and the hardware to go with them.... except they did not fit, so. Off to the local LBS to order some Magura adaptors. Adaptors in hand I then proceeded to fit the calipers; front one went on with no problem, but the back one still did not fit, as the disc was too far from the caliper, and it was obvious that something was wrong.

A quick exchange with the guy I bought the brakes from and I now had some Hope shims on order. Shims in hand it was back in the garage and now everything fits like a dream, but, the hoses are way too long, so out comes the service kit and after ten minutes on youtube I am a Magura expert.

Actually, shortening the hoses was a breeze and after quick but slightly messy bleed of the front brake all that was left was to tune up the mechs, fit a chain and whizz it around the block.

And that ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls is where we have got to.

I'll be out on it in the next day or two, South West monsoon permitting, so expect some more photo's soon. For now, these will have to do.

DSC_0054_zpsda5f6815.jpg

DSC_0063_zps7eed93aa.jpg

Nice! I look forward to the ride report to see how it compares with the others.

suburbanreuben":3r4rapqy said:
How high is the BB?

Around 300mm.

Took it for a whizz around the block with (more) air in the tyres. It is a little heavier than my Mountain or Yates, but it steers like it's on rails.

Also, I really like the brakes, which are very effective, but not overpowering.

I hope to get a proper ride in tomorrow, even if I have to put a light on my helmet and do a night ride. :mrgreen:

Ride Report.

Good: It has not rained here in two days. Bad: I have been late home from work two nights running. Good: I finally got to ride the Implant today. Bad: It's cold.

So, got home from work, determined to ride the Implant, as the weather forecast for tomorrow and the rest of the century is RAIN.

This is not going to be a direct comparison to any of my other bikes, for a few reasons. First, because all the others were ridden during the summer, in temperatures around 20 to 22 degrees and todays ride was at 3 degrees. Second, because all of the other rides were on nice dry ground, and now everything is slightly damp, as it has not stopped raining since mid December. Third, because all the other rides were in nice bright sunshine and todays ride was in the dark.

So, how did it go?

Well, the road section to the woods was pretty good. The forks are not as soft as they first appear, which means they take the buzz out of the ride, but a pot hole is still a pot hole. The back end was firm without being harsh, and the steering is pin point accurate and fast, without being twitchy and unpredictable.

The brakes are good and stop the bike really well, without being overpowering or harsh. I think the rear brake would benefit from being bled, so I'll take care of that over the weekend.

Once in the woods and onto the gravel path, I got the first hint that the Maxxis tyres were not that well suited to the task, as I got a little touch of wash out from the front on a couple of the twists, I also thought something drastic had happened to the brake on a small patch of soft ground, as it really felt like someone had jammed a brake on. Turned out the tyres HATE soft mud.

As for the ride, superb, pin point accurate, extremely well balanced and taking on the rolling climbs and descents with ease.

On the first of the short sharp climbs, we breezed up, no hint of lift or even lightness from the front, even when I stood up and grunted the last bit before the top. The second steep climb was much the same until the point when I just ran out of traction. No blame on the tyres, it's a steep gravel path with a fair sprinkling of mud and wet leaves.

It was the same story on the double bump just before the switchbacks, but I hopped back on at the top of the second climb, as I was keen to see what slow speed steering was like on the switchbacks.... easy, easy, easy.

The long rocky climb was a bit of a grind as I usually ride up a slight gully to one side of the really rocky path, but as the tyres almost stopped me dead every time I touched mud, this forced me up onto the really rocky stuff. Amazingly, this is where the Maxxis tyres excel and I had perfect grip while I was able to stay on the rocks. The down side of this is I had a really rough ride, even given the Pace forks at the front, which did their job well.

Next part of the ride is a swoopy gravel path, slightly downhill all the way. Headlamp on full beam and YEEEEEHARRRR. Just excellent. The tyres hung in there and the Implant swooshed through all the bends like it was on rails.

Next the fast rocky climb, which was rocky, but was not that fast. What it did show was that the bike tracks and steers brilliantly over rough terrain; you pick and line, and the Implant sticks to it, come what may. The tyres also had perfect grip all the time I was 'on the rocks'; trouble was, between the rock patches is mud, so if you can imagine pedalling at speed, on a slight rocky incline with someone grabbing both brakes at random, you will get a fair idea what it was like.

On the flat bridleway which is basically hard ground with a few muddy puddles, I was actually able to make pretty good progress. On the bottom bridleway, which is much softer ground, with large muddy patches, it was a bit like a learner driver kangerooing along.

I ran out of grip on the short sharp rocky rooty climb, and had to finish on foot, then it was the long loop around, and back along the full length of the soft wet bridleway and then out of the woods.

The road ride to the golf course was not the best, as the tyres drag on tarmac, there was a headwind and while my temperature had increased and my kit was getting wet and sweaty, the air temperature had dropped.

The rough rocky path around the back of the golf course was a breeze, not a slip, slide or wheel out of place, but every soft spot reduced the speed again.

Down the short rocky descent to the next path, again, perfect grip, and not a bad ride past the farm, with the forks eating up the worst of the hits and the back end, although not as compliant as a couple of my other bikes, still tracking dead true and not booting me too badly up the arse.

I had to leave the last little single track section out of the ride, as it is pretty muddy and finishes in a short steep climb which is a mix of rocks, roots and mud. Instead I took and equally steep tarmac climb, which the Implant handled as if it were nothing.

The road ride home was not sparkling, the bike was fine, but the tyres were dragging, even the climb back into my road was noticeably harder work, although the frame showed not the slightest hint of flex.

So, two things have to change; the tyres, which will be superb on gravel and rock (in other words, trail centres in Bristol and the Forest of Dean), but are no good in the present conditions. They will be replaced with Panaracer Trailrakers. The other thing to go is the Flite saddle. My son loves them, but they didn't suit me back in the 90's and they still don't.

A summary of the Implant: It is fast (or it will be), it steers like a razor, but at the same time is easy, almost forgiving to ride. On the climbs it is extremely well balanced and centred; maybe not quite as good at the Mountain, as I did manage to get the front wheel in the air on the steepest of climbs, but on the switchbacks it was solid and very stable. It also feels very light to ride, maybe not nimble, like the Yates I rode the other day, but I would say it is the kind of bike you can ride all day on all kinds of terrain, and it will handle it all with ease.

A worthwhile addition to the fleet? Yes, I think so. Better than the Yates 853 it replaced? I'll know that the first time I ride it on the Mendips and belt down one of the long rough rock strewn paths that had me on my arse on at least one occasion.

"We Happy?"

"Oh yeah, we happy"

Glad you like it Neil; sounds like a change of tyres and some dry weather is the order of the day so we can get a proper comparison. The endless rain has ruined all the decent rides down here too.

How about posting a map of your ride (omitting the section that would lead a burglar to your front door)?

Latest posts

Back