1999 GT STS XCR 1000

chimp007_uk

Dirt Disciple
Looking about the net for the right bike, and this popped up on eBay :D only 15miles down the road as well!

Pics will do most of the talking :cool: (apologies for pic quality, taking with iPhone...)

21dac89d.jpg

37e27377.jpg

1e12313e.jpg

f3a1d48e.jpg

77c26fc1.jpg

51f06eb3.jpg

1ad0f52e.jpg

Issues are:

- Requires grips
- Replace pedals (currely fitted with atac clip ins)
- service front brake - pads needs replacing, caliper is not offset correctly and one piston is not moving.
- Slight play where the rear shock bolts in.
- Replace missing shifter back.

6ea5bfc5.jpg

Opinions and help appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

I like that :cool:

Definitely can't go wrong with the looks of an STS. Once it's up and running, have you got any plans to upgrade it etc?

That is one sweet bike!

Is the rear shock not upside-down though, or is that just the way they were on the I-Drives?

edit - doesn't look as if the shock will fit the other way round, so it must be right!

EarlofBarnet":142be6xh said:
I like that :cool:

Definitely can't go wrong with the looks of an STS. Once it's up and running, have you got any plans to upgrade it etc?

Use it lol

No, I'll tinker with bits as I go. If it was standard I'd probably keep it that way, but as its not :roll:
No doubt bits will need replacing as I use it so will take it from there, just need to get it sorted!

Going to spend the evening ordering up parts me thinks :)

Barneyballbags":22ybnx5a said:
That is one sweet bike!

Is the rear shock not upside-down though, or is that just the way they were on the I-Drives?

edit - doesn't look as if the shock will fit the other way round, so it must be right!

Shock is correctly fitted, the two ports petrude out to oneside

Cheers!

I've stripping, cleaning and examaning bits the last couple of nights. The bike hasn't been used for some time! There was hardly any pressure in the front and rear shocks, and the brake fluid was brown!

Stripped the caliper down to inspect and clean, looks like there was a leak as the caliper was stained brown in places. It also wasn't shimmed, when I removed the pads, one was like new whilst the other was destroyed! Ordered up a caliper seal kit and ICX pads from chianreactioncycles, so all should be ok, and I'll shim accordingly.

Stripped down the rear shock and found play in the shim inserts that go into the eyelets of the shock. Not sure where I can get these from?! Possibly a Rock Shox only affair...??

The rear wheel needs truing, but don't fancy doing it myself, so I'll pop that into my local bike shop at the weekend.

Bit of a result on the shifter back cover, a member answered my plee... So purchasing a faulty pair of shifters, primarily for the cover, but will offer parts if required!

Just on the prowl now for grips, pedals and a stem plug, and I should be up and running. Want to get it sorted by next Friday as I'm off to Cannock with a few mates.

The bike is now in full working order... and "touch wood" hasn't been a money pit. Took it out for a pre Cannock blast over some fields near me, it came back plastered in grass and mud (not to mention me :)). Now cleaned and oiled and tucked up :roll:

Fitted the the shifter rear cover, and cleaned out the mech as it was skipping 3rd. Turned out to be old grease gunking it up. Aligned all the gears and set them up.

Stole some platform pedals from my BMX, along with some nice ODI grips. Both of which have now been replaced on the BMX with other eBay finds.

Purchased a Hope Head Doctor to preload the headset bearings, along with a Rock Shox shock pump. The shocks were pumped up 2 weeks ago and still holding pressure, even after the quick blast at the weekend so seals look ok. Front forks tend to "squeek" near the limit of the travel, might need servicing.

Decided to go with some IXS X-Mix pads and at the same time purchased a caliper seal kit, although it hasn't been needed yet. Used some ATE Blue Racing brake fluid, that I use in my trackday car.

Biggest expense was sorting the rear shock bushes out... No one seemed to do them, and ended up get pointed towards BETD. They guys there couldn't have been more helpful. They had both pairs of bush in stock, along with the inserts and the tool. Only difference being that the new inserts are "plastic" and the old ones were metal. Will have to see how long they last...

Happy Chap!

Future plans now, will probably revolve around a Migura rear brake at some point.

Back