WHYTE JW2

Jobs done Saturday:

Fizik Cowhide - very, very comfy
New Spherical Bearing . GLXSW10 Fluro - stopped the front knocking
Stans Alpine ZTR + Vertical Tires 2.3 - feels like I am on an electric bike- very fast

Next on the list is the shocks -the coils are comfy and work very well, BUT are heavy and absorb pedal efforts.....I think the back one will go first......

Apologies to fluro - it is still ok

the play was in the front of the H connecting to the forks - so I have used a washer to make it fit nicely and no play now!

I'll post some pics of mine soon! I have a sort of crud catcher on the PRST which helps to keep the shock clean. I rode it off road this week and it was a blast. A fast cross country ride. You should pump your shocks to body weight in pounds (rear) and 75% body weight (front). That's 185psi in the rear for me. Shocking!

yes you are spot on with the air pressure but at the moment I have the stock spring front shock on it and I really like the way it works, after all these years it is still performing, and on the rear I have the original old X fusion - I have 190psi in which gives me the right sag and it works fine - OMG does it bounce when I pedal - and I am pedalling really smoothly - anyway I have an RP23 coming from Italy this week to replace it!

Also I have a pair of stans Alpine wheels on it now and these have made a world of difference - I cant rave about them enough - I ride 80% in big ring now....- this probably accounts for the excessive bobbing!

as for my "other" jw2 - that is a rocket sledge - 23lbs dead w/o pedals!!!

Lets see your crud cather......

Here is my crudcatcher. It has a rubber flap at the front and is fixed with zip ties. It should save the shock from the mud.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,163
cheers I had one on when my front shock packed up and I had a big 2.2 rubber queen tire on and when I rode it home slowly and turned coreners the tire destroyed the crud catcher.

So what tire have you got on the front?

I've actually got a classic IRC Mythos XC 2.10f on the front. I used to think they were the best tyre ever but now it seems rather poor. It just shows how technology changes. On my JW4 I'm using a Nobby Nic 2.1 which is a tyre I've never rated! I bought a couple of Conti Trail King 2.2s for a tenner each from Winstanleys in WIgan. They give a good combination of low drag but good grip on my Boardman so I have high hopes.
I've just come back from BRT bearings with a PB10 spherical bearing for the JW4. It's an IKO like the one I'm replacing. That became very noisy after a short time but a big groove worn around the ball points to a lack of lube.

I just want flat peice of black plastic to make my own from- to scared to risk another crud on the front

Bit of an update about the spherical bearing. It was easy enough to fit but when I tighten the retaining screw it wouldn't tighten. I took it out to find the thread wrapped around the screw. I used the next size of tap to cut a new thread, found a small socket headed cap screw and filed a point on the end. Problem solved.
I haven't been able to get any lower shock mounts. They are worn at both front and rear shock. Fortunately I think I've found someone who'll make some. They're simple enough but I don't have a lathe.

Back