Kona King Kahuna 19" Titanium

91lavadome

Old School Hero
Kona King Kahuna Titanium 19" complete bike £1150 posted UK delivery excluding highlands and islands. Probably a 1997(see pips input below)

Frame only including seat binder and hs £750 posted.

Frame number K19041

International postage at cost. Paypal gift, bank transfer or meetup.

A very rare beast with the factory disc mount with some extremely rare parts - RF crankset etc. Very good condition. Its supplied with 2 spare sets of decals and and titanium buffing kit to keep it nice.

Specs
Frame: Kona KK 19" with factory disc mount and V brake studs. Frame in excellent condition - see pics.
Fork: Rock Shox REBA RL - scratched on bike carrier but full working order
Headset: Hope
Stem: thompson
Handlebar: USE ATOM carbon
Grips: RF

Brakes: Hope minis

Shifters: Shimano XT
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT
Cranks: Race face Next LP carbon
Chainrings: RF
Chainring bolts: RF
Bottom Bracket: RF ISIS Ti
Pedals: NOT INCLUDED

Hub Skewers: Cook bros
Rims: Mavic X317
Hubs: Hope XC
Tyres: Maxxis advantage "ghetto" tubeless

Seatpost: Easton Carbon EA 70
Seatpost Binder: Kona original

"Build thread"
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=246019

This bike is an absolute joy to ride and I've enjoyed riding it. They are VERY rare, even more-so with factory fitted disc mount! Im upgrading to a modern 29'er full suspension which is crazy I know so this has to go!

Hi

What travel is the Reba Fork that's on the Bike?
What length fork can this take?

Cheers
Leon

Re:

That is a lovely bike that you have there.

It would be interesting to see whether you receive more interest in this sale if you posted it in the pre-1998 section, as I am certain that the frame is an early 1997 - if I am correct in saying that you frame serial number is K19041.

From 1998 – 2000 the King Kahuna had a prefix of KK, while 1997 & 1996 had a prefix of K.

The amount of gusseting on your frame, rules out it being the somewhat rare 1996 model. The later batches of 1997, and successive years of production, had all Top Tube cable routing.

Your bike with its Down Tube Rear Mech routing would therefore make this early 1997. My two 1997 King Kahuna’s have all Top Tube cable routing and are serial numbers K18066 and K19088, so were from a later batch production from yours, by which time Kona had requested that Ti Sports moved the Rear Mech Cable stops to the Top Tube.

You decals are 1999, and appear to be genuine Kona Factory replacement. I have an orange set myself; these were to colour match the orange painted front end that were usually, but not always a feature of the 1999 King Kahuna.

Kahuna%2099_zpswmnpllxg.jpg

99KingKahuna005_zpspgyi0zq7.jpg

The blue set that you have are a bit of an anomaly, and I assumed were produced for the very rare 1999 6Al-4V model.

The 2000 model also had Glow in the Dark decals with the oval Headtube badge, and not the set seen on your frame.

I only have a picture of a Score 2000 model on file, but you can see the Glow in the Dark decals and oval Head Tube badge that was a feature of that year.

Score2000_4_zps2jpxwfgb.jpg

Regards,

Pip.

Intriguing. I love the expertise on RB!
Heres the serial no

I bought it 6-7 years ago from a very nice guy on eBay who was the original owner. He said he ordered it directly from Kona with the disc mount. I assumed Y2000 from comparing images in catalogues.

Any other distinguishing features of the 6Al-4V model?

If any mods are happy to have it in pre 1997 section that would be great.

The rebas 100mm - feels good but not sure I'd want to got much more in terms of a-c length.

My 2000 pahoehoe had the glow in the dark decals and grips - pretty much the reason I bought it so I was surprised that the KK didn't have them.

91lavadome":1sfom8ar said:
I bought it 6-7 years ago from a very nice guy on eBay who was the original owner. He said he ordered it directly from Kona with the disc mount. I assumed Y2000 from comparing images in catalogues.

Any other distinguishing features of the 6Al-4V model?

We continue to be surprised with what turns up from time to time.

The 6Al-4V King Kahuna have the digits “6 4” at the end of the serial number. I’m at work now, but when I get home I’ll dig out a picture of one.

One of my 1997 King Kahuna frames had a disc tab added at some point. It is interesting to note that it differs in design from both your King Kahuna’s, and the standard factory fitting on the Score frame. I’ll post up a picture tonight.

Pip.

Back