1992/3 Kona Hot TET... Trade?

eporter123

Dirt Disciple
So I have a 1993 (Or is it '92?) Kona Hot that's a Teesdale frame. Number 253, so it's an earlier one. I think it's a 17", if I can use the chart from the 1993 catalog for sizing? Interesting color that I haven't seen elsewhere. From the 1993 Catalog, you could have any Dupont Imron paint you wanted, so I'm thinking the white/black was someone's custom color? It seems the whole bike was painted white, then the black was painted on the front triangle. I like the fade/overspray onto the seat and chainstays. Would match up nice with a black P2 fork.

Very nice frame, but too small for me. No dents, just normal scratches and nicks. It would clean up real well with some black touch up paint as it's all white underneath. A beaut to look at, too. Great splined tubing.

With seatpost collar, XT Headset, and Gary Fisher chainstay protector...

Anyone interested in trading for a larger 19" Kona, or other vintage frame of similar craftsmanship and quality?

I live in Oregon, but can ship worldwide, for all you Kona fans and vintage parts hoarders...

12438185104_2a438f1c8a_c_zpsa106d8d8.jpg~original

12438410374_5d788cd8ab_c_zps9790350d.jpg~original

12437709335_1a996c68c1_c_zps685e9ff5.jpg~original

12428364374_00f03d606b_c_zps7a4eac2c.jpg~original

Capture_zps0cb21399.jpg~original

Capture_zpsd61199d8.jpg~original

561039d1281229672-kona-hot-fork-options-page-13.jpg

Geometry:
BBC to TTC=16
BBC to top of seat tube=19
HT=5.125
Top Tube from STC to HTC=22
Down Tube from BBC to HTC=24.5
Chain stay=16.75
Seat stay=18.5

From the measurements you've posted, it suggests your Hot is actually a 19" in Kona terms. Will compare against my 19" later today.

I am a bit confused, as I thought it was smaller, but maybe it is indeed a 19" frame? The charts give few real frame measurements for sizing, most are "virtual."

Thanks for checking against your frame, please do let me know what you find.

I wasn't sure what the actual "size" measurements were with the sloping top tube. I've had a couple "newer" Konas, ('98 Kula and '01 Mokomoko) and their geometry seemed different. Though I believe my 19" Mokomoko was 19" C-T and 16" C-C.

I found that second smaller frame geometry chart today on RB in the catalog section. It's from the 1993 catalog. Interesting that they actually give a measurement for the seat tube, and then in other charts it's just assumed. You never know if it's C-C or C-T.

Are the "D" measurements in those size charts actually measured horizontally as shown, and if so do they measure from the center of the head tube to the outside edge of the seat tube as it seems to show? Hard to say what horizontal is without the proper length fork on it.

Your Hot is a bit of a mystery :? The measurement's you've provided would suggest it is a '92 frame. The geometry of Kona's changed between '92 & '93. Your's has a seat tube of 19" and a top tube that measure's an actual 22". The following year the seat tube went to 18" with an actual top tube length of 22". Another difference between '92 & '93 is the headtube was shortened from 130mm to 110mm. I believe your frame is what is considered 18" in '92.
The only problem is the decal's it's wearing are from '93 :? And I could be wrong but if it has the splined down tube shouldn't it be wearing a Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong sticker as opposed to the Prestige Concept?
Lastly, I'm sorry to say but I don't think that the white on the rear of your Hot is original. Look's a bit too DIY in my opinion. And although the original Kona chainstay protector could have just been replaced I reckon it was replaced because the rear triangle had been resprayed.

Echoing above, the paint work really doesn't look up to the high standards we'd expect from the factory. Furthermore, I've never seen the frame material decal placed so low on a Kona so I'm inkling this was re-applied at the time of the DIY job or an after market addition.

Are those drop-out's expected for a frame of this era for a Hot?

Those drop out's were used on the rest of the line from '92 (they were changed in '94 ;) ), unsure if the Hot's used something different :? The peculiar thing about the drop out's is the rack/mudguard mount's. As far as I know Hot's generally did not have these and to have them on this Hot without the corresponding mount's at the top of the seat stay is a bit odd...
It would be interesting to see a shot of the brake mounts

Back