BMX frame styles...

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
OK, so I know next to nothing about BMX other than I've always fancied knowing more about them than I do (and, of course, the basics of how they came in to being).

What I'm interested at the moment in is the evolution of the frame designs and how they differ, if at all, between discplines. So does a flat land BMX frame differ to a race bike and so on. And when it all started to split (historically).

As an example: the seat stays on my Diamond Back start in front of the seat tube, go straight past it for a while before curving down towards the rear axle. I've noticed similar differences with GTs and so on. How come? Is that specific to a certain type of frame or do these different designs offer genuine advantages (longer wheelbase, etc)?

I think I'm after some geekiness. :) Anyone?

I already have. Quality video. :)

Interested though in why you get frames like this:

Gt-performer-RiniWendt.jpg

vs:

surferbmx81-Melle%20Kloosterman.JPG

Any idea of the reasoning behind the differences in where the chain stays start? Is it purely a wheelbase thing - I'm guessing here that shorter wheelbases would be better for ramps and so on being a bit less stable?

Something else, actually: what are the practical differences between modern and retro BMXs? With MTB it seems to be suspension, disc brakes, sometimes frame materials, head angles and so on.

Thinking about buying a second BMX, and possibly one for my middle-aged brother's birthday (try and tempt him off his carbon roadie) - although that's a different thread... :)

It's not a easy one to answer

I guess it's two things

1.Progression of a item used for a certain theme, that finds better use through technology and moving forward to progress ones needs to work better

2. The use of marketing skills to portray a move forward in technology, to seem fresh and not left behind - a way of creating a scene as where the individual has to be moving with the crowd, that has been created by the manufacture in order to proceed forward in marking ideas and create more sales and stay on top

the thing with bmx is - if it brakes how can we make it better - if we don't come out with some new design, then we will not make money

old school bmx's did try all sorts of things as most haven't been tried before

as bmx's went along - freestyle came out and you stood all over the frame doing tricks - racing needed good brakes and great geometry - they spilt apart as they need different things

some freestyle bikes changed brake position due to feet hitting in the way

mass market bikes were made from cheaper stuff and so got heavy

tricks got harder and faster so stronger

each time the bmx tricks moved on so did the technology for the bikes

for a simple machine - you just need simple well thought out stuff

so it's hard to pin point why all the different things came about on a bmx

when looking for a bmx, you have to ask a couple of questions

what do you want it for and do you like the look of it
start off with those two and then move to the next bits like - Price - age - weight of you and the bike

like i say not a easy one to answer right of the bat ;)

cheers B ;)

So with frames like the Performer the big flat section is more for standing on for flatland type stuff than extending the wheelbase to make it a bit more stable for racing?

Must say, been riding my BMX a bit more recently and really starting to enjoy it now - whole different experience to MTB. :)

Ridinng a BMX will help if you want to get better at MTB's as it help you think quicker and you also become a bit more at one with it - MTB's do a lot of the work for you - full suspension, gears, padded seats, big wheels for getting over stuff :roll: :LOL:

and before you lot say MTB is hard - yer i know as i did it too ;)

but BMX allows you to have more fun and takes it back to basics - ;)

Actually - sort of agree with that; and that's as a dyed in the wool MTB XC rider BITD. Never really fully got in to my BMX before I got married, moved house, temporarily lost touch with my bikes and so on.

Finding the Diamond Back loads of fun now though - steeper head angle, like you say, lots less forgiving and being shorter and smaller wheeled it's a bit easier to chuck around. Always find that the Zaskar feels like a gate when I get back on to it (and it's only a 16" frame!). Only problem with my Diamond Back is the weight - seems to be hald a hundred weight; not sure if that's due to the quality of that frame or just the difference in build weights between BMXs and lightweight XC machines on the late 90's. :)

some like light bikes (myself) and some like the heavy one's

Burner's weighed some back in the day, but the kids still made them catch air

the 90's Haro's weight like a tank - but once you get momentum on a half pipe it helps you get more air - more air is more time to get it right at height

new school bikes weigh around 23lbs -25lbs and have a lot less on them - pegs can be lighter - chain rings smaller - short seat post

but i also have a Mongoose 90's bmx frame that is alloy and is light as feck :shock: (also selling it )

you will get used to the weight - it just takes a bit of time for the right muscles to get used to being used in that way

and the other thing you have to remember is MTB is big business - they can sell you the latest all techno design for just a small amount of large cash - lighter, better, newer

you don't brake too many a things on a bmx

no spring in the forks
smaller wheels where you have to decide weather to go over or around and not just ride through it
sharper turns - think faster
no back braking lean over - stand up riding - sit down when you need to stand still and talk

we will make a man of you yet ;)

It's all about the various styles of riding. Kind of like downhill/XC mtb's.
The pic's you've posted looks like a freestyle frame (GT), chunky drop outs for your harder slams and the Mongoose, looks like a supercross frame... More like a SS drop out, lighter etc. supercross frames come in various sizes to suit the height of the rider. My supercross bike has a 21.5' top tube unlike say a GT performer which would be closer to 19'. Loads of variants street, pipe/freestyle/jump/supercross/cruisers. All depends on what your doing with em. The evolution of BMX's are similar to mtb's, again my bike runs a 1/18th headset, V brake and has a hydro formed frame for example. BMXtalk.com is a good source of knowledge as well as sites such as Radbmx and bmxmuseum

Awkward Kid":toda1kv8 said:
It's all about the various styles of riding. Kind of like downhill/XC mtb's.
The pic's you've posted looks like a freestyle frame (GT), chunky drop outs for your harder slams and the Mongoose, looks like a supercross frame... More like a SS drop out, lighter etc. supercross frames come in various sizes to suit the height of the rider. My supercross bike has a 21.5' top tube unlike say a GT performer which would be closer to 19'. Loads of variants street, pipe/freestyle/jump/supercross/cruisers. All depends on what your doing with em. The evolution of BMX's are similar to mtb's, again my bike runs a 1/18th headset, V brake and has a hydro formed frame for example. BMXtalk.com is a good source of knowledge as well as sites such as Radbmx and bmxmuseum

That's excellent info. Thanks. :) All a bit confusing when you come in to it fresh. Loving my BMX at the moment though - even in preference to the Zaskar... for a bit... :)

Back