help on parts for my Gazelle ..

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
These might be silly questions but I am new to road bikes -

(1) I have a compact frame bike (Gazelle Superbe).... do I need compact cranks or low drop brakes or any specific parts related to it's compactness?

(2) Can I put any cranks and BB with a shimano cassette and derailuers? I would avoid the culture clash of Campy and Shimano of course.

(3) Can/should I use the same crank length for Road biking?

(4) Is Mavic Mektronic any good?

(5) How do I calculate stem length on a road bike, trial and error? I use a 120 on my MTB.

(6) Anyone recoomend good wheels from around 1999?

Is there anything else I need to know specific to road bikes? ...other than that prices seem to be extortionate.

1. No. The brakes it is designed to work with (deep or shallow drop) depend on tyre clearance for your frame. Skinny tyres without mudguards = shallow drop, fat tyres with mudguards = deep drop.
2. Yes, but you might find fitting a mountainbike triple with a road front mech difficult or even impossible. Indexing a mountainbike triple with STIs may not be possible.
3. Basically yes, but you can fine tune further with some road cranks, and if you feel you can, you should.
4. It promised rather more than it delivered. Think of it as a lie that was true.
5. Depends on what suits you best.
6. Show us the frame, so we can suggest something.

Here is a quick shot of the frame and forks, the only parts I have are an ultegra front mech - modern (ice grey) and a Use Carbon Alien post.

I will probably get a matching rear mech but I don't like the matching Ultegra cranks, I'd prefer older carbon ones.

Attachments

• gazelle.jpg
    gazelle.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 645
Also does anyone know what the dangling boss is for on the top tube? (below the b of Superbe) It faces sideways.

Have you had a look round ribble? they still hold some NOS parts. How important is looks over function?

Back