simplex retrofriction shifter cables?

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Trying to fit a set of retrofrictions onto a bike. Sadly all the gear cables I have won't fit! The nipple is too large for the recess (!). Anyone found a brand that'll work with these shifters? Was under the impression gear cable nipples were reasonably standard.

John":qa7rnnsm said:
Trying to fit a set of retrofrictions onto a bike. Sadly all the gear cables I have won't fit! The nipple is too large for the recess (!). Anyone found a brand that'll work with these shifters?
Campag cables (4.0mm) work in mine. Shimano (4.4mm) don't.

Was under the impression gear cable nipples were reasonably standard.
There's a common problem of Shimano cables getting stuck in Campag Ergo shifters. The nipples are just the right size to wriggle in and get jammed.

I've the Simplex shifters fitted to a bike and they do need an unusually slender nipple on the cable. Campag make (made?) this sort of cable although I suspect there are others.

As luck would have it I have some cables I've just removed, in decent enough condition and long enough. Any good? I also have some NOS Campag friction shifters with NOS cables if you prefer (note: having the latter is not the reason why i have the cables spare, another frame is leaving the stable)

one-eyed_jim":4dkwuj9b said:
John":4dkwuj9b said:
Trying to fit a set of retrofrictions onto a bike. Sadly all the gear cables I have won't fit! The nipple is too large for the recess (!). Anyone found a brand that'll work with these shifters?
Campag cables (4.0mm) work in mine. Shimano (4.4mm) don't.

Was under the impression gear cable nipples were reasonably standard.
There's a common problem of Shimano cables getting stuck in Campag Ergo shifters. The nipples are just the right size to wriggle in and get jammed.

Jim,

cheers, cleared that one up for me. Always just used what I had lying around into campag shifters. Guess I was either lucky or forced them in!

Ed,

those cables would be grand. Hopefully be at FoD so maybe see you there...

Back