iveto1983

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My Dad just gave me this as an early birthday present, and I believe it will be of interest to some members here. It's a Snap-On KRA-59C tool chest made in 1979, that belonged to Gerald O'Donovan. My Dad went to secondary school with Gerald's sons, and knew Gerald and his wife Pat since his early teens. My Dad has always had an affinity for Carlton as we are from Worksop, as well as the personal connection to Gerald. I'm partial to Carlton's for the same reason, and have a '77 Track Flyer frameset in chrome. Anyway, back to the chest. My Dad stayed close with Gerald's oldest son, Paul, for all his life, and Paul gave the chest to my Dad about 10 years ago, as he knew my Dad would appreciate it. My Dad has decided to give it to me as I'm starting to add a few road bikes to my stable.

It's not in great condition, with a small dent on the left rear side, and it must have been stored somewhere damp because the top shelf has a hole where it's corroded through in the same back left corner as the dent. I'll not touch the dent, but I want to patch the hole and treat the rust so it doesn't deteriorate any further, while maintaining the patina and obviously leaving the decals unmolested and intact.

In addition to the chest itself, I also have two incomplete sets of taps and dies that belonged to Gerald, and a note by Gerald asking people not to use and abuse his tools without having his express permission each time, which used to be taped to the chest.

43931728041_cfc606e834_c.jpg

43026620015_b964828f18_c.jpg

43026616435_f68d1ea903_c.jpg

43026617855_3fbd7eeafe_c.jpg

30062803078_99d7409d69_c.jpg

43026615245_4bfda128fd_c.jpg

43026613735_f805385841_c.jpg

Re:

You are a very lucky man, and a very brave one Originalshinkicker will be round dismantling your house to get his hands on that ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Cheers, guys.

Haha, does Flickr leave the geo-tags on your photos when you upload them?

I’d not thought to scan the note, I just put it in the plastic sleeve, but it’s a good idea, thanks.

There was some cork sheet liner in the chest, a few rusty screws and nails, and a few small badly worn files but apart from those and the die sets it was empty.

Back