Hello

Chromtribal

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone, just got back into biking mainly pleasure riding and for health benefits, 53 year young and spent many years driving so have put on a few pounds.
I'm originally from Barnsley but now live in north Lincolnshire ( so flat )
Just purchased a raleigh record sprint sxc to help me lose the fat hehe
Happy biking everyone and may your wheels be true, regards chrom

Evening.

Welcome to the madness. Lots to see and lots to read. Just avoid the G&OT section until you've had a stiff drink.

Re:

Eyup Chrom! :D
I grew up 10 miles from Barnsley, not as flat as Lincs, but not far off!
The Record Sprint sounds cool, I remember drooling over my cousins record sprint with all the gold bling on it :cool:
Stick around, and if you've got any retro road bike related questions then you're in the right place :)

Welcome aboard!
Get some pics up, have a few rides and most definitely join in the madness :)

Jamie

Madness correct & your wallet will take allot of hits as you get into the joys of retro bikes, & renovation & upgrade works take hold :)

Hello all,
I joined earlier this year, but realised I hadn't introduced myself in a Hello message.
As a teenager in the 70's I joined the Wigmore Cycling Club, where a school mate already raced. Everyone else had hand built Youngs, Philbrook (PAG), Holdsworth etc. In Reynolds 531.
I had a Dawes Star Realmrider (still do have it) in gas pipe.
I regularly did club runs, and the Iwade 10 mile TT's. I enjoyed the participation, only ever got one win medal, a Harrietsham KCC 10 miler 1st on handicap.
Down to the fact I had just put on a set of 2nd hand sprints and tubs. And a Stronglight/TA Cotterless cranks and Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear mech. also 2nd hand.
It felt so much lighter and responsive, especially when it rained half way through and I could feel less rolling resistance - due to the fact that the tubs. we're grass track pimple tread and not road race type!
I stopped participating to do other things, but continued to cycle around Bristol whilst at Uni. and then to and from work if nearby, or the station if commuting.
I had a little good luck on a charity pools and bought a "new old stock" 1982 Raleigh Record Ace (Worksop built) in 531c from a Chatham Raleigh shop. At last, my 1st Reynolds 531 bike!
I've done some miles on this one.
Including 3 London to Brighton, British Heart Foundation sponsored charity rides. Had a massive crash coming down into Brighton one year, ending up in A/E via the St John's Ambulance.
Good thing that I was a registered rider.
Had 13 stitches across my chin and 3 inside it.
Now I'm retired I'm gathering parts and tools to commence building bikes as a hobby to ride, including wheel building.
I haven't mentioned my time working as a schoolboy in Halfords, mostly in the bike section, progressing to buying a BSA Bantam, Tiger Cub then Tiger 90. Doing all the maintenance I could.
After marriage, we bought a 1969 Reliant Scimitar GT Coupe 3 litre.
Still do work on that.
I also "ran" my son for 12 years in MSA/RAC kart racing mostly TKM 100 junior with 1 year in Super 1, then 115 cc senior.
I was the oily rag. The only servicing I couldn't do was the rebore and big end change, as it needs careful balancing. They run regularly at 16500 RPM, so balance is fairly important!
That's me, folks.
I have recently bought a few frames (531 of course) to build up for me and my wife, more info to follow - later.
If this all seems familiar, I posted this when I joined another forum, the Cycle Chat bunch - I hope this is o.k.?
Bye for now.
Robin.

Back