Retro '71 Cinelli SC

dadoflam

Dirt Disciple
Hi - thought I should post some photos and background to my 1971 Cinelli SC Retro bike project posted on RBotM this month. The objective was to combine the best of eras past and present and pay homage to bikes created by craftsman with a passion for racing bikes. The functional objective was to take my favourite classic steel frame – a 70’s Cinelli SC - and give it all the benefits of 45 years of components development – including making it a light bike to tackle my local hills.

The frame was an Ebay pick-up with multiple layers of paint and so many frame modifications that it was not ideal for a classic restoration build. This was stripped down and refinished by Peter Fleming at Star Enamellers with Shane at Electroplating Technologies – both of whom are masters at their craft. Era-correct Cinelli silver paint and chrome was used but no decals were applied to keep the bike simple and clean looking

The 2013 Super Record groupset is a contemporary favourite of mine – being light but also having smoother shifting than the current version (albeit arguably a bit slower). The cockpit came straight out of the 90’s – a 3TTT Ti Pro stem and Deda 215 bar both polished. The Headset and saddle are modern items from manufacturer’s with a commitment to tradition and craftsman-led quality – Chris King and Brooks respectively.

The decision on wheels was a hard one. They needed to be light but also respectful to the classic frame and project aim of highlighting craftsmanship. I chose Lightweight Gipfelsturms were picked for their low profile, relatively high spoke count but also because they are uniquely handmade. (The entire production of the Gipfelsturm is undertaken by a single long-term employee of Carbonsport who is the only one with the required knowledge and skills)

Tyres are Veloflex – handmade in Italy (really!) with a great back story of a community resisting the move towards mass production

A couple of items were custom made by modern day artistes. A nickel plated engraved replica Cinelli headbadge – subtle and matching the stem – is the only branding on the frame apart from the distinctive Cinelli lugs and fastback seatclamp. The beautiful seatpost was made by Albert Bold in the classic (and difficult) 26.2mm Cinelli size. It took a long time to find someone willing to make this item but once I found Albert in Pennsylvania and explained my project he was onboard. The end result was a great finishing touch. Friend and bike loving photographer Tom Roschi took all the shots

Re:

Nice .... very nice

but are you sure its a 70's frame? Lugs, brake clearances and underbracket guides and braze ons make it look more 80's

Re:

The frame came as a whole bike with most original components still fitted which helped me date it. Headset, pedals, cranks, RD, brake levers, Cinelli 1A stem, headbadge etc were all pre '73 versions. Brakes were pre'75 Record callipers.

Previous frame mods that I detected include under BB cabling, FD braze on, rear cable stope braze on, bidon braze ons, front shifter braze ons and through top tube cabling braze ons.

I am not positive but I believe the under BB cabling for Cinelli was introduced with the winged C Cinelli logo BB castings introduced after '78. Also the detailing and location of the top-tube cable entry and exit ports are very different from the standard 80's Cinelli ones I have seen which are flush with the tubing.

Re:

ok, was just a thought. Looks like you've done the homework.
Whatever it is, its cracking. Hope it rides as good as it looks

Back