Painting dry tubular walls with liquid latex? Advice? Ideas?

Hillwalker

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got a number of nice but old tubulars where the once-tan walls have dried, turned white where the latex has rubbed off and the fabric fibres can now be seen and felt. I'm wondering if a paint over with liquid latex would rejuvenate these and protect the sidewall fibres from wet and wear? The tubs are Clements, so worth saving in my view if possible.

Has anyone done this? If so, will any latex do? I've looked at some online that's sold for craft and moulding purposes. Will this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250ml-25-litr ... 1839830762

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance

HW

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I remember back in the mid-1960s I noticed the same problem with some tubs. As I was at school (and short of money) I wanted to prolong the life of the tubs, so I used puncture repair solution on the walls of the inflated tubular, followed by a light dusting with talc. It turned out quite durable, and the whitish colour from the talc soon disappeared. I don't know whether the latex solution linked to would be as durable.

If the latex doesn't bond to the existing rubber, you won't actually strengthen the tyre side wall at all. Or protect the fibres.

Could try some of that stuff they put on CX sidewalls, Aquaseal. That might help (or put it on top of the latex to finish the job off)

Thanks for the suggestions and input. I think a controlled trial might be in order here to explore the various options mentioned in the thread. Watch this space!

HW

I'm sure there are rubbery type paints you can get to stabilise walls that are a bit powdery to bind it all together, flexible and waterproof.
Shaun

Re:

Aquaseal is the go to product - I've used it on both aged Clement Colnago Service Corse and Clement Criterium Seta tubulars to good effect. To clean up the crusty surface use a dry stiff bristled nail brush with synthetic or natural hair bristles and just give them a brush. The dry /loose latex will brush off. DO NOT USE A METAL BRISTLE BRUSH or you will have to put it all down to a very expensive lesson :oops:

Re: Re:

captnslow":215v94s7 said:
Aquaseal is the go to product - I've used it on both aged Clement Colnago Service Corse and Clement Criterium Seta tubulars to good effect. To clean up the crusty surface use a dry stiff bristled nail brush with synthetic or natural hair bristles and just give them a brush. The dry /loose latex will brush off. DO NOT USE A METAL BRISTLE BRUSH or you will have to put it all down to a very expensive lesson :oops:

Well that's a revelation! Do you mean a tube like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquaseal-mSEAL ... 289&sr=8-2

Seems to be certainly worth a go. I have 3 or 4 pairs of good quality tubs that might benefit from this. Thanks!

HW

BITD I used to use Copydex on the walls of my CX tubulars - it was the only 'latexey' thing I could easily source back then (70's, 80's). It worked for a couple of events and then I needed to repeat. However, for road tubs it may work OK for a while longer.

Here is a pic of the Clement Colnago tyres. The one on the right was in poor condition so I scrubbed the sidewalls clean of all loose material and gave them a coat of aquaseal. The one of the left is an original untreated Clement Colnago in NOS good condition with the sidewall just starting to show signs of deterioration.

Hi Captnslow,
That looks great. Is this the product you used?

AquaSeal8oz.jpg

: Mike

Back