Unknown track - Mercian? Gazelle?

KUR

Retro Newbie
A few weeks ago I went to take a look at this old track frame, not sure what exactly was on offer as nether myself or the dude trying to get rid of it knew exactly what it was.
- Frame + fork number: '1875'
- Campagnolo faintly stamped on the rear dropouts
- Nervex stamped on BB shell lug plus the other lugs all look very Nervexy
- Unfortunately the fork crown was drilled for a front brake buy the previous owner and it's a bit messy.
- Kinda fell for it since it was in my size, the details were nice and felt like it needed a more loving home.

Anyway, the plan is now to completely restore it with a nice paint job and fresh decals...but what is it???

Is it a Gazelle Champion Mondial Pista?
- decals say it is
- but I've never seen one with the seat say / seat tube wrap around detail like on this frame
- and never seen a gaz with Nervex lugs?

Or is it a Mercian Super Vigorelli?
- the seat tube / seat stay wrap around looks similar, plus I have seen Mercian's with Nervex lugs...
- I have been told that the last 2 digits on the frame stamp indicate the year of manufacture for Mercian so '1875' - built in 1975?

Or is it something completely different?
Would massively appreciate if anyone can share their knowledge or opinion!

Also I plan to eventually build it up, so please shout out any component suggestions

26737215195_7e292f5730_b.jpg

26131035994_d207670e51_b.jpg

26711488186_a7bc64dfd9_b.jpg

26133374483_9c458c3976_b.jpg

26670940721_41ae4f7b05_b.jpg

26464597880_66d63d8cdf_b.jpg

You could ask Mercian, their records go back to 1970. I have a sneaking suspicion that they might charge you a tenner?

Shaun

Re:

Looks like a British frame from 1960s, when the Nervex lugs, 5/8 stays and wrapover were popular. A few builders mistakenly removed the lip from the head lugs, might help identity.

Keith

Re:

Its a factory gazelle track. One sold over here in Holland recently. Rare find with original fork, love ut

Re:

I don't think it is a Gazelle. I've never seen a Champion Mondial with Nervex lugs like these. Wrap-around seat stays are a bit different too and the four-digit frame number does not suggest a Gazelle either...

I have a gazelle with the wrap around seat but its not a track bike like yours and don't know if they made any track bikes (be surprised if they didn't), mine was originally fitted with campy BB Brakes.. looks like a gazelle to me, I think it would make a very nice fixie you done well getting it ....

Back