Tubular rims

Re:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have worded the question better. I have two pairs of tubular rims, one pair are Fiamme 32h/36h currently mount on a Campagnolo 32h front hub and a Normandy large flange rear. The other pair are Mavic Monthlery 36h mounted on a Campagnolo rear and a Gipiemme Sprint 36h front (I have Gipiemme Sprint rear to match). The plan is to match the Campagnolo hubs to the Fiamme rims but the rims look like they have seen some use, (the Mavic rims look to be in VGC). So
A: how much material loss is acceptable?
B: what was the original measurement or a source for this information?
C: I only plan to do 3 to 5 hundred miles a year and avoid hills like multi nationals avoid tax, so as the rims look ok, just not mint am I over thinking it.

Re:

Hi Andy

I used tubulars on my main means of transport in all weathers back in the 50/60s, and built/rebuilt literally thousands of wheels. Never saw a sprint rim however light worn through the sides, even though we often picked up grit in the brake blocks.

I would rate the Mavics as the better rim, and lighter. We rarely used spokes thicker than 15/17g (1.8mm double butted).

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":1xgeyctb said:
Hi Andy

I used tubulars on my main means of transport in all weathers back in the 50/60s, and built/rebuilt literally thousands of wheels. Never saw a sprint rim however light worn through the sides, even though we often picked up grit in the brake blocks.

I would rate the Mavics as the better rim, and lighter. We rarely used spokes thicker than 15/17g (1.8mm double butted).

Keith

The Mavics do look to be less pitted and appear to be very little used but 32 spokes are just sexier. So probably will build up the fiamme rims, just don't want to waste my time if the rim is shot.

Midlife":1j2iujmc said:
Just to double check, what does it say on the Fiamme rim decals?

Shaun
They are just a red rectangle with FIAMME in block capitals and fiamme Italy stamped into the rim

Back