Rock Shox 700c Paris Roubaix Suspension Forks

paul8valve

Devout Dirtbag
Anyone got any experience of these?

TBH I only stumbled across these online recently and I'm intrigued?

A gimmick or worthwhile? Irish rural backroads are shocking after the bad winter!

Re:

I have two personally.

They aren't really a gimmick....well kind of a gimmick kind of not.

I know one person who definitely didn't think it was a gimmick. He loved it and it lead to use in major races and lead to a ton of innovation in road racing.

They aren't stupid lightweight, but pretty damn light given what there are and they are 20+ years old. If you can find one, get it. They are unique and fun. They can be modified easily and set up for whatever person, bike and riding style you want to do.

Thanks for your post, salesguy; If I can find one to fit my 61cm Concorde I might take the plunge, as that's the one I plan to pile the miles on this year!

Re:

You would either need the threadless steerer crown or the threaded 230 or 260mm steerer. Tougher to find them NOS or even in the longer lengths. If someone can replace the steerer on one you find, that'll work.

I like them. But I also like the Mag 21 SL Ti which it is based off of. It is super adjustable. Yes, a bit flexy if you have a big frame or are a heavier rider. But such a good ride.

I Know LeMond loved them. He still has his on a bike at his house. Among a couple others he has. Hasn't used them in ages but he liked innovation in cycling and without him, there wouldn't be quite as much out there tech wise.

I know ebay has a couple fork out there. I think 3 of them right now. None in the length you need, but again you could always find something. One is NOS from California. look them up. not cheap tho.

can't find any on the 'bay at the moment?

what length steerer would I need for a 59cm or a 61cm frame in 1'' threaded?

I'm useless at working this out....

if you search worldwide, under rock shox paris, there are two for sure. One NOS(in CA) and one in Italy-used but a long 230 steerer tube. The NOS one is a shorter steerer.

As for the length, it depends on the head tube. I have a 180 head tube on one bike and can run the 230. They also did a 260mm threaded steerer and a 265 threadless alloy steerer tube. The threaded, it was available in a steel and ti steerer. They look identical on certain ones. A bright ti looking color. You actually have to have someone check with a magnet to make sure its ti or not. I bought one recently that the guy said it was ti and it was steel. The last one I just bought he said its ti. not sure yet as I just bought it and it hasn't arrived. The other is a threadless alloy.

Usually a headset is 35 to 40mm total stack. A King is 33 to 38mm. So depending on your head tube length, a 230mm steerer should work.

Re:

I wonder whether Duclos still has his?

Winner of Paris -Roubaix riding these. Probably '92 but may have been '93

Mike

Not sure. Good question.
I know many pros keep their bikes afterwards, especially after a massive win like that.
I guess it just depends on the company sponsoring the team/riders.
I know SRAM gets bikes back from riders and puts them in their office in Chicago(i've seen them there).
I know Rock Shox did the same thing back in the day. That might be where Ducs bike is. I can ask the guys there. Hell, Mavic might have it as it was a Mavic kit on there.
I can ask Greg next time I talk to him if he knows. He still talks to everyone. He is in Belgium right now. But he has one bike missing some parts hanging in his garage and one in his basement complete both with Paris Roubaix forks on them. He has a great collection of his bikes from racing days. Too bad I am not his size or i'd ask to ride one!!!

I have used lightly modified Marzocchi xc400,700 forks to do this job to good effect. No more white finger on crap surfaces.

Back