rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
* (changed name of thread)

Been bit quiet on this forum for a while so I'll ignite some controversy
- why do some cyclists feel the need to completely
Lycra up with skin tight everything even when travelling to work - then changing into normal clothes ?
Why the Lycra for commuting ?? Isn't that supposed to be race wear?
I notice most tend to be riding modern carbon bikes and are obnoxious pratts at crossings and such and complete A Holes to drivers.

Re:

MAMILS are to the cycling world as Harley riding middle age men are to bikers, all the gear and no idea bunch of twats :twisted: :twisted:

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":5lrs9we6 said:
MAMILS are to the cycling world as Harley riding middle age men are to bikers, all the gear and no idea bunch of twats :twisted: :twisted:
Haha what's MAMILS? I think I'm
Missing out on the code - not fair!!

To be fair to carbon, not all ride carbon- one complete reprobate at work used to come in with Lycra and cycling shoes with cleats on a Carrera hybrid which probably weighed a metric tonne. Reach the office and change.
A year later he grew a hipster Shorditch beard had loads of tats done - and "sleeves" and piercings - got trussed up in black leathers and big boots passed his motorcycle test and came to work - not on a Harley or Sports bike but on one of those horrid looking tourer types couriers sometimes ride complete with the storage box at the rear - what a C u next Tuesday - Of course he changed into his suit as he stepped in to the office.

Re:

Middle Aged Men In Lycra AKA M.A.M.I.L.

They cannot just buy a bike they have to buy in to the whole idea of cycling, like wearing team lycra and peloton riding on the open road holding up cars and blasting straight through traffic lights coz I saw it on Le Tour........... Fvckw!ts :facepalm:

Re: Lycra garbed pratts

ibbz":opbjlcsm said:
why do some cyclists feel the need to completely Lycra up with skin tight everything even when travelling to work - then changing into normal clothes ?
More comfortable?

A couple of miles in office clothes is fine. Much more than that, and I'd rather have more practical clothes to cycle in, then change into something clean at the other end. I don't want to sit around in sweaty clothes all day, so it makes more sense to me to ride in riding clothes and work in work clothes. Lycra's comfortable and efficient.

Why the Lycra for commuting ?? Isn't that supposed to be race wear?
Not really.

Different people like different things. It doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

Re: Lycra garbed pratts

Its something else to monetize, market and make you feel bad if you dont have the latest.

Theres a fine line in arriving at work sweaty, stinky and covered in dead stuff and arriving clean, sweet smelling and ready for work. I often found a change of t-shirt was enough. Trousers tucked into socks the old fashioned way and a change of shoes under my desk at work. Nobody cared as long as the work didnt suffer.

I found specific cycling jackets just didnt work and could quite often make things worse leaving feeling like a boil in the bag ready meal. Making the bike ready for the grind was better. Proper mudguards, dry chain etc etc - so you didnt arrive covered in unnecessary bike goo.

Re:

I ride to work every day. In Lycra. It's comfortable, certainly more so than my work clothes would be. Don't understand your point.
I don't ride through red lights and I despise those that do. Or don't use lights.

Mike

Re:

FWIW I wear team kit, or trade as we used to call it. Why? Because it's cheaper than non trade kit. Especially over the last few years.
Now with eBay,it's still easy and cheap to buy trade tops. I draw the line at s/h bibshorts though!

Mike

Latest posts

Back