Removing old tubular glue

paul8valve

Devout Dirtbag
Seasons greetings, oh wise men (and women!) of RB!

A Christmas present to myself (vintage set of GP4s laced to Mavic hubs) arrived in the post this morning.

The rims have quite a lot of old hardened crusty adhesive on them...any tips or tricks for getting this off before I stick on some new tubs?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Re:

Hi Paul and a Merry Christmas.

Heating the glue or warming it with a hair drier can help but Paint wipes, big yellow tub, found at B&Qs or hardware shops work. Go over the glue first and it breaks down then go over again and should come off. Elbow grease needed also.

Simon

Acetone us also a good solvent, the bright red tub glue was track glue which I think was shellac based and was a nightmare. Clement glue may have also been reddish and hard to remove as well..

Shaun

The most difficult bit is getting the glue to stay on the rim. Soften it up with some cellulose gunwash if you can get a bit from a local car painter. Or used thinners.
It is much better to leave it on. Myself and Mrs. K used tubulars for many years.

It may then be enough to hold the tyres from creeping round the rim.

Why do people always want to clean it off???

Keith

Hi Keith

Lots of people use tub tape nowadays (I use Tufo) which is probably best applied to a clean rim. BITD the only tub tape we had was Jantex which I never trusted.

Shaun

I tried a number of solvents and acetone was best. Be careful near your decals.

The shellac stuff will be hard and crumbly and you should be able scrape a lot of it off with something plastic. Most shellac lacquers are meths-based rather than toulene or cellulose.

I would only remove the glue if the bed of glue was uneven. If the bed was even I would stick a tub to this. When removing glue, I would soften the glue a bit with cellulose thinners, and then scrape it off with an old, slightly blunt chisel. I would then clean up the last traces of glue on the rim with cellulose thinners. Nowadays, I use tub tape, and always stick this to a rim cleaned of previous glue.

Back