Concorde and the Ye Olde Headset Stack Height Conundrum

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought a very nice Concorde Aquilia Jubilium frameset that I was extatic to receive owing to wanting one for, like, ever. Anyhow, imagine my surprise / irritation when I couldn't appear to find any headset in my spares box to fit :? The headtube is exactly 130mm and the fork steerer is 160mm giving me 30mm

I was contemplating getting the steerer tube replaced by a frame builder but that would trash the paint on the crown - owing to the complex paint effect, I'm not keen on that idea as it couldn't be replicated to match the rest of the original paint on the frame.

So my question, is there a 1" threaded headset with a low enough stack height out there and is it a max of a 30mm height that I need? PSB a couple of pics of the frame etc as you did read this far! ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 455
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 455
Re: Concorde and the Ye Olde Headset Stack Height Conunderum

If you have exactly 30mm of threaded steerer available, then you could probably get away with a shimano headset, most of those are around 33mm. you can gain an extra mm or two by not using the spacer/washer between top cup and lockring.

You could always ask whoever you bought the frame from what headset it had in it before, that might help determine which one you could use

Re:

Thanks Foz, it came with a Campag headset but this literally was just holding the fork in and I can't believe anyone would ride it like that. I'm in danger of seriously :oops: here (and I reserve the right to edit my post ;)) But if I have 30mm available, how would 33mm stack height work?

the stack height quoted for a headset usually includes the spacer I mentioned, and since the locknut can't thread all the way on but has a lip on the inner edge, that gives another mm or two also. So you might just be able to fit a 33mm-ish headset. try it and see I think... you might even be able to mix and match, as two different headsets with the same total stack height might have different stack heights for the top and bottom parts, choosing the shortest one for each part you might gain a little bit more. The locknut also doesn't need to be screwed all the way down (it shouldn't anyway, if the inner lip touches the top of the steerer then you might not be getting the whole setup tight enough). You would probably be OK with a couple of turns of the locknut, which might save you another mm

I have a few headsets, will have a measure and see if I have one low enough (I think I have a 6400 which is one of the lowest, not sure if I still have it though, need to check)

Re:

Tange Seiki Passage is a headset with 30mm stack height. Not high end, but reasonable quality, good price.

Bruce

Re:

Cheers guys, I'll try the Tange as if it doesn't work I haven't lost a fortune and I'm keen to get the bike built!

Re:

A lathe is your friend as you can shave a millimeter off here & there..

I was also going to recommend the Tange ones because I know one of them in their range was around 30-31mm. If you absolutely need to gain that last additional millimetre, you can always omit the locking ring too. It's handy to have it but not critical. A thinner crown race can also get you out of a stitch - some of the ones that come on those cheap Chinese headsets are very thin.

Back