Narrow tyres on older 27 inch rims

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
I've just tried fitting some 630 x 25 (27 x 1 inch) Panaracer Pasela tyres to some older but unused Weinmann Alesa rims. They are clincher rims but they don't have the distinctive lip that you find on more modern (even 1970s/80s) ones. At anything above about 70 psi, the tyres come start to come off the rims. The tyres are rated at 115 psi.

Am I right in thinking that these rims are simply too wide for the tyres and I'll need at last 630 x 28 (27 x 1 1/8 inch) tyres?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks
Bob

Re:

You appear to have the original 27 x 1 1/4 which size has nothing to do with tyre width. It was a nominal size, the rim bed for the wire bead was 1 1/4 inches each side less than the overall nominal diameter of the tyre 27 inches. The tyre can be a little more or less than the theoretical diameter, but the measurement assumes the overall diameter to be 27 inches. So the size would always be marked 27 x 1 1/4.

These are not clincher rims but wired-on.

This was a far simpler system which we used in the 1950 / 60s, Apart from junevile the entire UK cycle production used only 4 sizes of tyre. The rare 28 x 1 1/2 and the common 27 x 1 1/4 26 x 1 3/8 26 x 1 1/4. Out of 300 tyres in stock there would be perhaps 4 28 inch.

Pedalitis":pwevajt0 said:
I've just tried fitting some 630 x 25 (27 x 1 inch) Panaracer Pasela tyres to some older but unused Weinmann Alesa rims. They are clincher rims but they don't have the distinctive lip that you find on more modern (even 1970s/80s) ones. At anything above about 70 psi, the tyres come start to come off the rims. The tyres are rated at 115 psi.

Am I right in thinking that these rims are simply too wide for the tyres and I'll need at last 630 x 28 (27 x 1 1/8 inch) tyres?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks
Bob

Velobase has the Rim Outer Width for Weinmann Alesa 210 rims as 24mm so maybe too narrow for your Paselas?

Re:

Thanks for the replies. As I guessed, wrong tyres for these rims so back to something wider. Always something new to learn!

Actually, it is usually okay to use narrow tyres on older rims such as the Alesa. However, you cannot use pressures above about 60psi.

The tyre pressure is the limiting factor here not necessarily the size of tyre. As Wheelnut says, keep it to about 60/65 psi, no more other wise the tyre will blow off. You also are in danger of destroying the rim by pushing the rather weak sides out. Ask me how I know !
Many people are misled by a modern tyre saying it is ok for 100 psi + but as I point out to folk, can your old rims take it ?

Back