road bike sizing help please!!!!

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
hi, am looking to purchase second-hand my first road bike :oops: .
have seen something nice on ebay that i really like, a Specialized Epic, one of the first with carbon tubes bonded into lugs, it ticks all my boxes!
the measurements are:

seat tube - Center to Top (measure from centre of bottom bracket to top of seat tube) 575 mm
seat tube - Center to Center (measured from centre of bottom bracket to centre of top tube) 560 mm
top tube - Center to Center (measured from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube) - 550 mm

i have just nipped out to the shed and measured my Tranny (Ibis mountain bike! ;) )
and it measures 58cm from c to c

the top tube is sloping on the Tranny, and dead flat on the Epic.

i'm 5'10 and half (179cm) with a 32 and a half inside leg, and i have long arms, my span from finger tip to finger tip is 6'2 and a half (189cm)

the Tranny runs a 110cm stem and my seat pretty much right back, it is by-far-and-a-way the comfiest bike i have ever owned fit-wise.

any suggestions/advice will be gratefully received!

cheers!

mike

Attachments

• tranny.jpg
    tranny.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 353
  • epic.JPG
    epic.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 353
Re:

If it is a 90's Epic should fit, at 5' 10" you should be looking at 55-58/59 cm frames. Although at 9179 cm tall god knows what size frame you would need ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

typo, fixed now :oops:

just worried about the top tube length, but having never owned a road bike, i'm out of my depth!

I'm 5ft 10 and I have a longish body and shortish legs, I ride around a 56/57cm top tube on a road bike

Re:

A quick rough guide, put the back of your elbow against the tip of the seat, extend your arm along the top tube, hand out-stretched, from the tip of your middle finger to the handle bar should be about an inch for a good fit.

Seems like a shortish top tube for the size (which I would say, for your height, sounds OK). Most frames 56/57 cm often have a 56 TT and it's surprising how much difference the extra cm makes. If you have long arms then you will probably need a long stem which could then affect the handling. What ever, if that's the bike your looking to buy then go for it, it looks lovely. I would!

Re:

One thing to bear in mind with a road bike when compared to an mtb.

On an mtb the bars are straight or angle back towards you very slightly. On a road bike you can (I do) ride on the tops of the bars (mtb like) but much more time is spent with your hands on the brake hoods.

So where as on an mtb the total reach is just the length of the top tube plus the stem, on a road bike you have to take top tube, stem and the reach of the bars into account.

I have made a big difference in the past by changing old style bars to new compact bars.

Re:

thanks for the advice, useful as ever!

didn't even cross my mind about being slightly more forward on the lever hoods..... :oops:

my Tranny measures 57cm from tip of saddle to centre of bars, the Epic is 56cm, and the saddle could be pushed back 10mm anyway by the looks of the pic :D

Back