sears mystery 10 speed racer

nledgin

Dirt Disciple
ive seen a bike that looks a lot like this one but is only 5 speeds. its the same color and everything but it doesn't have the luggage rack on the back and it doesn't have the chain guard on it... Its made in france but by who I don't know ive not had much luck finding anything about this beautiful bike and would love to know more.....

Attachments

• P2090011.JPG
    P2090011.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 570
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 518
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 518
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 518
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 518
Re:

Almost impossible to say based on those photos (likely the worst image I've seen on the site). But, if its a Sears brand bike its likely built with a hi-tensile steel frame and equipped with very low end parts. I'm sure you could get replacement parts like chains, cables and brake blocks to keep it going. If there is something more serious wrong with it I suppose it would depend. There are many used parts available on eBay so you may be lucky.

Re:

Probably early 70s import to US (I assume)
You might find it in a Sears catalog, big stores would import the cheapest they could find in the 70s bike boom. The picture appears to be a low end bike, not even remotely close to a racer.

Keith

thank you for the information and yes I know the pics are bad but they only let you put up to 500 kb image and I had to search my cameras for one that could go that low.... and for the parts its in great working order needed to be oiled but it works well only thing I had to replace was a back reflector... how can I find an old sears catalog ?

Re:

That green was a very popular colour back in the 70's - my mom had a singlespeed ladies bike in a very similar shade and I owned a Sears drop bar 10 speed in that colour was well. If it was a French manufactured bike, I believe Peugeot sold bikes in a similar green colour during the 70's and many were imported to the US during the bike boom days.

yes it was sold by sears and yes I love the green I also have a bicentennial from sear in a shade darker and it has the working generator and light set.

Re:

If it is a French manufactured bike from the 70's you might be able to find out more about it by doing a google search using the serial number. Typically that's on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell (the part of the frame that the crank axel is installed in). Another common French manufacturer from those days is Gitane.

Good luck with your search.

Back