Application of non adhesive 80's style plastic bar tape.

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hello chaps,

I'm having to replace the bar tape on an 80's Viscount lady's bike and the lady in question (a friend of my partner) has requested that I replace it with something authentic-looking.

I have bought this which looks to be the right stuff and not the only bar tape in the world to lack the adhesive backing tape, but how to go about applying it?

Does it just wrap tight and stay put, or do you have to use double-sided tape underneath it?

It's arriving just after the new year so if nobody's used it before I'll report back as to how much of a mess I get into ;-)

Cheers!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've used Shiny tape for years on vintage steeds it's very easy to tape up you simply wrap it on bandage style with about a 5mm overlap and the finished wrap is secured by the rainbow tape which is adhesive......I normally start at the plug end finishing on the top but a lot of folk prefer taping the other way and securing any surplus within the bar plug either way the tape is practical, washable and re-useable

Griff

Re:

As per the previous post I start from the bottom and wrap from the outside in, a small hint when you open the reels if you leave the bit of tape on the end, you can use that to hold the end of the tape tight for the first few turns :xmas-wink:

Benotto tape is great & easy to apply. For the funny bikes of the 80's you wrap from the top to underneath the brake levers.

If anyone has any white Benotto tape I'm in the market for some.

I've used that very tape as a stop-gap measure while waiting for the right colour Benotto to turn up (yellow). This tape is a little stretchy which means it grips the bars if applied under moderate tension and the lack of adhesive makes it easy to reposition to get even spacing.
By the looks of things you are using the white tape. Worth noting that I bought the orange colour which has very quickly faded to yellow (shouldn't be a problem with white?).

Remember to 'stretch' this bar tape on! If you don't it will move.

Keep it tensioned well as you put it on, always remembering to keep your fingers on the tape as you wrap it around the bars.

Used this exact cheap tape on my Pavone and still looks as good as when I first put it on.

pav006.jpg

Re:

Did someone say that the Benotto tape can be reused? I want to change the European style braking to proper Blighty order so I don't crash due to a silly mistake.

Will I be able to reuse the rather fetching orange Benotto tape rather than have to source a replacement?

Always been able to re-use this type of tape but try to wrap it the same way as it was on the 'other' bars or the section
which goes around the levers is usually stretched badly so can look a bit messy if you don't get it right.

Re:

Hi,

Coincidentally I've just transferred white Beattock from one bike to another. Reason? White Benotto appears to be getting scarce with eBay sellers wanting £20 upwards.

I've used cheaper copies and they've been fine.

Remember to chop a few centimetres off each roll to cover the brake lever bands and attach this first. I always start from the top, personally and tension towards the saddle.. Theory being that you'll pull back on the bars and so will not be trying to loosen the fit as you ride.

Sott of the Bike Shop Show podcast did a lengthy piece on application of tape a year or two back - it'll still be available to download.

Paul Deacon

Wiltshire, UK

Thanks one and all - pretty easy to fit by the sound of it. Just need to wait for it to arrive through the Christmas post now! I'l post a couple of pics once done as it's quite a pretty little touring bike.

Cheers for now!

Back