Another 'Name That Colnago' thread (sorry!)

elPedro666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Far from the first thread of it's kind I know, so apologies for that, but I bought this recently:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=303780&p=2274212&hilit=Colnago+Master#p2274212

From what I can gather from my own searches, ALL Masters with the exception of the very first in 1983 have the crimped tubing, so it can't be a Master. I just figured that they must've changed through the years, absolutely gutted and feeling dumb now.

So, assuming that the Deco paint is original, it's post-93.
Internal top tube brake routing.
'COLNAGO' on the BB shell, not cutout.
Bosses for dt shifters.
Came with carbon forks, not sure whether they were original though.
Full chrome under the paint.
Bunch of photos here:
http://s957.photobucket.com/user/cannon ... o%20master

Any other details I can provide to help ID?

My current best guess is a Conic SLX with upgraded paintjob - I'll shine a torch inside the seat and head tubes in the morning.

Thanks for looking :)

Re:

Oh Crud, looks like that picture link has gone now, I'll have to take my own tomorrow. May have some saved too, sorry about that!

Re:

Did I miss anything?! :LOL:

I've shone a light down the seat tube and can't see any spirals.
Incredibly faintly on the BB shell is 54C2 - possibly more under the cable guide.

Not sure what it is but something horrible has attached itself to your bottom bracket ............. :(

Shaun

Re:

Not the neatest device is it Shaun, I might have to do something about that!

More concerned at the moment with it not being what I was expecting though. Jono, you sound pretty certain, thank you very much for the info! Any idea what kind of age we're looking at, late nineties seem right?

Re:

I'm struggling to find much info at all on the Superissimo, can anyone point me at anything please? Have seen it suggested that Brain is roughly equivalent to SLX, does that sound right? Wondering where it would sit in the range?

I'll check if there's any catalogues in the archives...

The seat Lug and bottom bracket combined with round "Brain" tubes tells me it is a Superissimo.

Great ride - I have one myself though not Art Decor paint.

Not sure of the date, can't remember when they stopped doing the Superissimo, that seat lug was around until the late 90s.

Re:

Thanks Jono, that's much appreciated!

I'm obviously gutted that it's not a Master as advertised, but the seller's being cool about it so we'll get that straightened out after Xmas. Then I think I'll get my attitude towards it readjusted ready to enjoy it for what it is in the Spring.

Still far too good for a lazy chubster like me anyway! :LOL:

Back