Shimano Dura Ace AX bars and 600 AX bars

Taul Paul

Devout Dirtbag
Morning Knowledgeable folk.

I'm building an AX groupset. I've just tried to slot the bars into the stem. Did Shimano
make different size bars? I reckon the bars might go in but it would scratch the clamp area of the bars.
The bars clamp area is 26mm dia but the stem is a shade under 26 at 25.9mm.
I thought there should be a slight clearance fit??

Any ideas

Thanks
TP

Attachments

• AX Bars.jpg
    AX Bars.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 688
As best as I know all Shimano marketed stems and bars match with one another. Have you loosened up the wedge in the stem fully? If you have not loosened it up fully, it can very easily bind and scratch the bars.

Ian Raleigh, also on this forum, build up an awesome Raleigh Road Ace with a Shimano 600AX group. If I recall correctly, he also struggled with the diameters of stems and bars (or I read it somewhere else :) ). Here is a link to his (well documented and great) topic:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=289130

Thanks 'Flandria' I'm trying to find my thread with I did in making a 25.4mm stem fit the DAAX bars.

Don't force fit that 600ax stem! You'll ruin both and you don't want to do that.

You need a 26mm handlebar stem, pretty hard to come by if you want the stem to be a 600ax but more common are Dura Ace AX which are all seem to be 26mm.

Re:

I reckon I'm going to get the adjustable readers out and remove 0.1mm from the stem hole. It won't hurt the job and will save gouging the bars. The clamp shoe is backed off so I have no choice.

Oh hold on Paul!!

The stem adjuster in your stem will be 25.4mm and is a different arc compared to the 26mm version!
This means the 25mm clamp will not evenly apply pressure to the bar clamping area.

While we're on about bars. Does anyone know what that cable tray stuff is called that the brake cable lays in under the bar tape. Someone must do something that will do the job?

Thanks for warning. I think they are matching 26mm, the bars are very very slightly oval, it maybe just this that holding up the fit. I'll wouldn't hack if I thought they were 25.4.

Back