Eddy Merckx Professional, advice needed please.

DrNO

Dirt Disciple
Hi retro(road)bikers.

Long time reader/occasional contributor to the MTB section here. Pretty much only riding the road these days though! I have a 1976 Raleigh Super Course Mk II (town bike) and a 2013 Defy 1 for longer jaunts.

I have a question regarding a bike I just inherited - It's believe it's an Eddy Merckx Professional from the early 80s (serial number, over BB cable routing, engraved signature on the ends of the stays, flat crown folk with engraved "Eddy" and "Merckx" and other pantographed parts suggest this). However, the wheels are in really bad shape.

I am able to pick up a set of used Mavic GP4 tubular rims on Campagnolo Record hubs or Ambrosio 19 Extra clinchers on Miche hubs locally. Both are 80s era I believe.

My question - which wheels to go for and why? Any help and advice from you guys would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

DrNO

Depends on what you want to do and where you want to go on the wheels. Personally, for general riding, I would go for the clinchers but, as many people testify, a good set of tubulars rides very well.

Why not buy them both?

Back